My 4th child is extremely small for his age. He is 4 years old and is still in 18 month pants. It is sweet, but when he is only 5'2" at the age of 40, he may not think it is that sweet. (Not that being 5'2" at 40 years is bad or anything...ahem.)
We recently took him to an endocrinologist (thanks spell-check). She agreed that he was short (thanks) and said we needed to get some blood drawn for testing. "This is gonna be fun!" I thought to myself.
Finally the day arrived for the drawing of blood. We get in the car and I am talking to him about what is going to happen. I told him that it would hurt but I would be holding him and he would be sitting on my lap. I assured him that it would be okay if he was a little scared.
He says, "I'm not scared, Mommy. But my belly is." (sniffle, sniffle) I told him that is was okay for his belly to be scared, but that he was going do great. We sign in, sit down and wait for our turn. Finally it comes and he starts to look up at me with concern. I set him on my lap and talk him through it all.
The man and woman who did it were wonderful. They found his vein and he whimpered his way through telling them what he got for Christmas. Sadly, they weren't able to get all that they needed out of the one arm so we had to do the other arm. They said something about him not drinking enough water, or something.
He had been really quite brave through the first arm, but I think the second one was almost more than he could take. PLUS they stuck him and then had to fish around under the skin before they found a vein. He was crying, and telling them about his dog and his brothers and, and, and...poor kid. Whew. Finally the hard part was over. The only thing left was a urine sample.
Off we go into the bathroom with our little cup. "This is gonna be easy," I thought to myself. He is a guy...you know...the whole standing up thing would make peeing in a cup that much easier. But he said that he just couldn't do it that way. Stage fright. So I plopped him onto the seat and positioned myself and the cup in a way that I could catch the urine without getting it on my hand.
Well, apparently he HAD drank enough water and the rapidly filling cup was proof. Without really thinking my next plan of action through, I quickly pulled the cup out from under the stream which caused the cup to bump his..ummm...errr...the source of the stream.
I was directly in the line of fire, and so, yes, my son peed on my face. All I could do was laugh. I told him that he had just done two things that none of his siblings had done before: given his blood and peed on his mother's face.
The things we do for our children.
10 comments:
Oh, that reminds me of the diaper changing days. When you'd whip the diaper off, not knowing they were mid stream and zowee! Nature's urea...
Aside from the blood test, this is quite funny. It just doesn't seem right when it's four-year-old pee. Baby pee seems somewhat less . . . gross?
and here i thought you were gonna say he pee'd on ur shirt! rofl!
Oh my! We never imagine some of the things we are going to experience as parents - just as well probably or we might never get around to it. Two weeks ago my daughter had stomach flu and I now understand why the words projectile and vomit were put together, which is how she managed to vomit straight into my face!
Sorry your son had to go through those blood tests - what a brave little boy he was.
You have a VERY brave little man! My man is one of those mean guys who sticks little kids (he's an ER nurse). He tells little ones over and over again that they are always braver than big people. Big people scream like crazy!!
There should be a list of top 100 things we do for our kids... yours would be #1!
Blessings~
~H
Oh my, I was peed one twice in one day this weekend and that was after being pooped on! Thank goodness it was never in my face, which by the way would require a call to Ripley's Believe it or Not since GG is a girl!
Okay, this is hilarious! When my son was a baby, he used to pee on me all the time and my hubby thought I was so gross because I didn't change my clothes right away.
Your poor baby, though. I hope you guys get it all figured out!
I just literally laughed out loud (in a room by myself, staring at a screen). I do that quite regularly around here!
At least you can laugh about it!
Poor little guy for having to do all that. :( I have to admit, I was laughing out loud in my room all by myself too! haha
I don't think anything about my kid could gross me out, even pee! How much we love them!
Thanks for the visit, and compliment...I think.
I laugh at your blog, too...:)
Love ya, girlfriend...
Post a Comment