You may be thinking "Duh! What sane person enjoys being hit in the head with a flying object."
True, true. But let me explain.
You hearing/hearing couples have the luxury of a voice that can almost always be heard, no matter where you are in the house. Let's say that you are sitting on the couch
"Hey Babe, can you bring me back a glass of water?"
"Sure." He responds
How nice. How convenient.
Well, us Deaf/hearing couples don't have that luxury. There are only a few ways of getting a deaf spouse's attention:
Flashing the light on and off. This works great at night, as long as the hubs is in the same room or at least in a place where he can see the flashing. But is doesn't work so great when it is in the middle of the day and you have your hands full and are not near a light switch. Frustration.
There is the whole waving of your arm like you are trying to guide an airplane for take off. This, again, only works if your spouse can see you straight on or at least from his peripheral. It is a great exercise, however, for the arms. It is also really great at looking stupid in front of your kids, in the middle of the supermarket, and across the pew at church. Not. So. Great.
There is always the stomping/slapping/slamming the floor with your hands, feet,
And now the final option is to throw things. This assures that the hubs will know that I am trying to get his attention. I don't throw hard things, like dumb-bells, footballs, sharp knives, or anything like that. I stay away from appliances and other electrical objects.
However, when I am sitting on the couch, nursing my 2 week old baby, and Brody is once again roping Camden around the neck while Camden is screaming, and there sits my husband, back to me, looking at Mafia Wars or Facebook, or some other really important page on the internet, oblivious to the round-up that is taking place right BEHIND HIM, I think it is quite alright to take whatever is next to me and
Hubs begs to differ. And so, I have TRIED to just throw something past his line of sight. That being said, I am not that great of an aim. I can't help it if some of those objects change direction in flight. I can't be blamed if the shoe pegs him in the side of the head.
What is a frazzled mother to do? And so I throw, hoping that my aim will improve.
I think I know what to get hubs for Father's Day.

10 comments:
Great post! I think the gift is perfect for Father's Day :-) I had never imagined the challenges you would face with a non hearing partner. Although I have to say my husband can be an expert at "not" hearing things and most of the conversations I have with him have to be repeated as he doesn't listen first time around. Maybe I should resort to throwing things :-)
OMG - you are so funny!
Does he ever use his deafness to not see/hear you on purpose? Maybe he just doesn't want to get you something?
My husband would do that, but I am going to throw something at him tonight just for fun!!!
Great post.
You are so funny! Is it justified if I throw something at my hearing husband? No? Bummer. lol I found you at Cowboy Boots & Baby Booties! I am the oldest of 5 (3 girls, 2 boys) & I know you have your hands full! I loved being from a big family! I'm a new follower & can't wait to keep reading! Your blog is great!
oh my gosh, that made me laugh. you have the best take on being married to a deaf man i have ever heard. of course, it's the only one i've ever heard, but still... it's the best.
haha...even the 'hearing' husband gets things tossed at them too! ha ha you need to get you a sack full of hacky sacks within your reach at all times...rofl!
i have to say for your husbands sake...farmville and mafia war are pretty addicting! ha ha
I'll have to try the flashing light! Why didn't I think of that sooner?! I also like the wet diaper, as we always have a bunch of those lying around! haha
Awesome! Stef you have to keep this series up. I love it!
Hi, I am a new reader to your blog and I love it!! Every post makes me smile. Thanks :)
Oh my gosh this is the best series ever!
Post a Comment