Tuesday, April 13, 2010
So I Married a Deaf Man III: Drive Thru
"Hey, what's for dinner?" Hubs asks.
"I don't know, what are you cooking?"
"Sonic!" he replies.
"Great! I get to drive." I insist.
You may be thinking to yourselves that I am some overbearing control freak who has to be in control all the time. This is SO not the case. In fact, I would love it if someone would willing come and take away some of my control. Please!! In fact, I am getting out my white flag as we speak!
So, no, it isn't a control issue. The issue is...well...here...let me demonstrate what it looks like going to a drive through when my husband is the driver.
We pull up to the screen and Bry is just looking ahead, with the window up, while the speaker is shouting, "Hello!! Is anyone there??? CAN I TAKE YOUR ORDER!!"
Finally, after what feels like hours, he rolls down the window. I am now leaning across the middle of the bucket seats, screaming, "YES, I WANT 5 YADA's , YADDA YADDA, and an extra large YADDA!" It is while I am ordering our yadda's that my husband thinks it is funny to tickle me, or give me a wet willy or some other annoyingly distracting antic.
"What was that, ma'am. I can barely hear you." What, is he deaf? No wait, that would be us...
So I repeat the order a few times until finally they get it.
When the order arrives, the car hop starts talking to my husband. When hubs doesn't say anything, and all they get is a cheesy look and a big smile, then they get annoyed.
Leaning across the seat again I explain, "He isn't rude. Really. He is just deaf and can't hear you."
"Oh, I am so sorry!" is what we usually get. And many times I can't tell if they are saying sorry that they didn't know, or sorry that he is unable to hear. Maybe they are saying sorry that I am hurdling the bucket seats. Haven't quite figured that one out yet. But, it is a little bit awkward to say the least.
So THAT is why I prefer to drive when we go through a drive through. Less hassle, less explaining, and one less wet willy that I have to deal with.
Labels:
SIMADM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love that you post in color!
It adds so much more. What an idea!
That is actually pretty funny and great that you can laugh at it.
Nice to meet you via UBP - very funny!
LOL! Thanks for the smile. I think for every wet willy he gives you when he insists on driving to the drive through he should get 3 more while he sleeps.
Post a Comment