Thursday, August 26, 2010

Simple

It all started when I washed my van's remote in the washing machine.

You would think that I would have learned my lesson about checking pockets after washing crayons, gum, lipstick, love notes and seeing the disastrous results. Nope. Not me. I just turn a blind eye, throw it in and turn it on.

And that is how it started. The remote, of course, doesn't work anymore. That means that if I want to open the sliding doors to my van I have to actually pull the handle...can you believe it. It is exhausting. Plus, if I want to lock and unlock the door, I have to do it manually...meaning I have to push the lock button. Oh the horror!!

Oh, yeah, and to get a new electronic remote costs $150.00. Yes, you read that right! No thanks!! My fingers are just fine with the exercise, thankyouverymuch!

Fast forward two months to yesterday. My son has soccer practice and so we all head to the field and watch him practice. After our practice, all the other teams in our part of town start showing up for their practice. Among them is one of my dear friends.

We get to talking while my kids have all loaded in the car. No worries, the windows are down so anyone who wanted to take them could so they were safe. Well, she decides that she wants to say hello to them and walks to one of the open windows. Of course they have locked the doors, for safety of course.

She reaches in and unlocks the door and opens it. This sets off the car alarm...the really loud, obnoxious, blaring alarm. And I don't know how to turn it off. Remember...broken remote.

In my mind, I know there is a simple solution to this dilemma, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. So I hop in and turn on the engine, thinking that would do it. Nope. On it goes.

By this time, everyone is staring and my friend has walked away from the car. I am not sure if it is because it is hurting her ears or if it is because she doesn't want to be associated with me...even though it was she who set off the alarm. I don't blame her. I wanted to run away too.

So I open up the hood trying to look like I know what I am doing...but, no. I close the hood and it stops. Whew!

Yeah, whew until I open the door again to drive away. HONK HONK HONK HONK  Surely once the car is in drive it will stop screaming. Nope. It continues all through the parking lot, up to the exit and into the residential streets before it stops.

We pull into the driveway, open the door....yup, you guessed it. Oh, please. My husband is there...oblivious to the racket the car is making outside. The kids run in and tell him to come out and he is looking at us, covering our ears, with curiosity. He doesn't know what to do so he just laughs.

I walk inside, close the door, and pray that it will stop soon. And it does.

The next morning, when it goes off again, I call Honda, where they inform me if I simply unlock the door with my key it will stop.

Seriously? Seriously??

Can you relate??

13 comments:

The Drama Mama said...

Sorry, this is really funny. But I can relate. I hate it when my remote gets lost. Funny that is was such a simple solution yet one that isn't the first thing to come to mind?

Hannah said...

OMG, this was too funny and horrible at the same time! I don't know what I would have done in your situation, probably the same thing LOL. I can't believe how much those remotes cost!! I am going to have to be more careful with mine! Thank you for stopping by my blog before, sorry it has taken me so long to come and visit yours! I am a new follower, I look forward to getting to know you! Have a great weekend

Kyla said...

I have unlocked my car through the window and had that happen twice. Seems like I'd learn but I think a couple of years had gone by since the first incident. I started the car to make it go off, it's good to know about the unlock the door trick.

Unknown said...

I should send you the remote from my Honda. The device in the door that makes the remote work is broken, so my remote is useless. And it's like $450 to fix.

Makes sense that if your car thinks it is being stolen it would keep beeping while in drive.

Glad it worked out!

jsturner1 said...

Stef, thanks for the laugh! Yes that has happened to me, but not quite as long........ It's so great to know someone else is human too.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

i'm sooo but that was soooo funny ...esp with the hubs part! let him drive it since it won't bother him!

sucks about the replacement cost! i mean hello...it's a remote not gold plated seat cover!!!

it's the simple things huh?! (about the solution!)

Mary said...

Oh, that is so very funny! Last Sat. there was a car that was going down the road with the alarm going off. We decided either she didn't know how to turn it off, or she had just stolen the car!

One Photo said...

Hilarious! It is SO what being a Mom is about, those little things that just escalate and drive you crazy! Thank you for making me laugh!

CB said...

That is hysterical!! I'm sorry I cannot stop laughing at the picture in my head of this scenario!
I'm sure it was not funny at the time but holy moly they did not make that easy did they!!
Thanks for the laugh!!

Have a Super and Honk free weekend ;-)

fili said...

I can relate, having set off an alarm myself a time or two. The worst part of replacing a lost remote is, after you've paid the high cost for it, then you have to take ALL your remotes, with the car, to the dealer, and have them all re-programmed (unless you know how to do that yourself, which most people don't) and that costs even more money! Had to do that when we bought a spare one for our extra set of keys. What a pain!

Susan Anderson said...

I've had this happen to me, and I still don't know how I managed to stop it.

But now I know how to stop it in the future...

Thanks!

=)

Teachinfourth said...

I can totally relate to your husband's laughter. This is hysterical! Well, only to those who it isn't happening to.

Have you tried to get a new battery for the remote? When I dropped my cell phone into a creek a few years ago I put it in rice (uncooked) to draw out the moisture. It worked great after that.

Unknown said...

OMG, poor you! This was pretty hilarious though...which is why karma will smite me for laughing at your misfortune... I can totally relate to the car alarm thing though. For the longest time, one of my car doors wouldn't lock with the remote so I had to do it manually. Now, even though the door didn't lock, the alarm would still turned on. There were several occasions where I would forget about that little fact and would open the door, setting off the alarm at 6 am in the morning, possibly annoying all my neighbors as I frantically searched for the remote. Yea, I don't miss having a car at all.