Tuesday, August 31, 2010

So I Married a Deaf Man: Enough with the bananas!!

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Boo
Boo Who....
You don't have to cry, it's just me!

Everyone loves a good knock knock joke, right? Okay, so there are a few party poopers who don't like them. But we teach them to our kids, actually tell them some of the worst knock knock jokes ever.

Knock knock,
Who's there?
Cargo
Cargo who?
Cargo vroom vroom.

You must admit that there are some really good ones. My personal favorite:

Knock knock
Who's there?
Smell mop
Smell mop who?

Bwahahahahahaaha. I love that one. So many possibilities...touch mop, clean mop, wipe mop...Endless, I am telling you!!

Well, I hate to break it to you. But those types of jokes...totally not translate-able. It just ain't happening.

The whole "Banana. Banana who? Banana, banana, banana. Orange ya glad I didn't say banana," doesn't make sense to someone who can't hear that orange and aren't sound alike.

Most of the time, Hubs is left scratching his head thinking, "Why in the world would 'smell mop who' make you laugh so hard?"

He is a great sport about it when my kids come and tell him those knockity-knocker jokes. He simply gives a courtesy laugh and looks to me for explanation. 

When Hubs and I were first married, I interpreted in an elementary school for some 1st graders. One day, the teacher decided that it would be a good idea for everyone to bring in their favorite knock knock jokes and recite them, one by one, to the class.  Seriously! It was excruciating and near impossible. I kept trying to explain to the deaf student that hearing people thought it was funny because the words sound like other words. "Huh? Whatever."

So, if ever you have to give a speech to a group of deaf people and you want to start with a joke, avoid the whole knock-knock impulse altogether.

Because they really aren't glad that you didn't say banana!

9 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I try to stay away from the knock-knock jokes simply because they are lame. Well, a few of them make me chuckle, but overall, I groan when a student can't wait to tell me one.

Unknown said...

Haha, interesting point. It's like trying to translate the knock-knock jokes to another language. It just doesn't flow the same way. I think when you have to explain the joke, it generally kills the fun.

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought I had heard all the Knock-Knock jokes ever, you give me two new ones! Yippee! I've never heard that cargo or mop jokes.I can understand why your husband must think we're all crazy for laughing so hard at silly word mash-ups. - G

Susan Anderson said...

Never thought of that, but it's interesting. And you gave me a couple of new knock knock jokes!

Thanks?

;)

Gabe said...

I really think you should write a book about all these things we take for granted. . .your perspective is amazing!

Jess & Jessica said...

I love it! Your post are both funny and true. Thanks for sharing some more "in the life of a deaf person." :) Keep em' coming. :)

Carrie said...

i NEVER thought about it before. That is so funny. And I have to be honest..I don't get the smell mop who. I keep saying it over and over and I think I am missing something.... I must be the lamest knock knock joke getter ever.

One Photo said...

Once again you make me think of something so very simple as rhyme that someone who is deaf does not appreciate, or at least not always. It is always so very interesting getting an insight into your world.

Natasha and Jesse said...

So true. I had a friend who was deaf and the whole joke thing boggled her mind.