Monday, August 30, 2010

Deserted Island

I have this island in my kitchen.

I love it. I hate it!

I love it because it serves many purposes.

It is the "desk" on which my children do their homework, on which my husband plays Mafia Wars does his article reading.

It is the place where all of  my children can help make a mess snacks.

It is the "tell-all" center, where we can just chitter-chatter away.

I hate it because it serves many purposes.

It seems to be a shelter for all "homeless" items...or so my children think.

It is a junk mail magnet.

It is never 100% clean.

If the island is a mess, the whole kitchen looks a mess.

I love it.

I hate it!!

11 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

And I GET it.

=)

Teachinfourth said...

I've got one of those in my kitchen and another in my classroom.

Ugh.

However, I can't live without either one of them.

Erin said...

Ohhh I would hate it/love it if I had one...then again if I had one...it would mean I had a big enough kitchen! =)

mountain mama said...

i know EXACTLY what you mean!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, I've always wanted one of those kitchen islands! I love having extra counter space to use for cooking because not only does it take me twice as long to cook but I also take up twice as much space! Just thinking about your kitchen makes me wish I had a kitchen big enough for an island.

jsturner1 said...

Have you seen my island lately?????

Anonymous said...

That's funny. I was just thinking the same thing about our dining room table. It seems to have become one big caddy for all of Funny Man's stuff when he empties his pockets at the end of the day. - G

stephanie said...

i could not agree more! why does the kitchen become the place every item of clutter tends to end up?

i hate paper clutter and its always spread over my kitchen counter.

but i do love that we have meeting place and the kids come and talk to me while i'm cooking.

so yeah, love/hate. i get it. :)

Bastian Family said...

We too have an island that serves many purposes, mostly clutter. We also have a small nook that serves many purposes, clutter......more and more paper everyday whether it be tyler's school papers, bills, mail, or walk by and drop it off in that corner. gotta love it. What would we do if we had no horizontal places in our house? Where would everything go?

One Photo said...

We have one of those weird things known as a butlers pantry stuck in the middle of the walkway between front and back of house and it is a total clutter magnet, but doesn't even have the advantage of being a place to congregate as there is no headroom thanks to the cupboards above it!

Diane said...

I think I have that same love/hate relationship with my entire kitchen counter!