You are also paid an extra $1.50/hour if you are this person.
At home, I am the POC.
Meaning, I am the one who answers the phone...all the time.
"Yes, may I speak with Hubs?"
"This is his wife, can I help you?" (Great POC line.)
"Well, is there a better time that I can call when he would be available to speak with me?"
"Ummm...in the next life?"
....silence....
"He is Deaf. So unless you want to call through the relay, I am the best you got."
Click....
In case of an emergency with my kids...POC.
I always put Hub's email address down
"What? Kobe is bleeding from the head? We better call his mom."
**No answer**
"What about Dad? Let's call him...What does that say? Email? What? Who's next on the list."
I know this, because it has happend before. Not the bleeding from the head part, but the skipping of the father.
I'm sure that this experience isn't uniquely mine. But sometimes, I don't want to be the responsible one. Let Hubs in on some of the action. Is that enough whining for you? No? Good.
Car breaks down, and a description of the problem is needed...POC.
Census woman comes to the door...again, POC.
Get in a car accident and an accident report is needed...POC. Wait, I am usually the one in the accident...which is even worse because who would they call if I was dead. Me???
Have a baby...POC. Who needs to sleep anyway.
Even Hubs puts me down as his POC. You know, when he places an order online and they need to call and verify information. They call me.
"Yes. Is this Stef? I am calling to verify some information. Can you tell me your address?"
"Excuse me? Who are you?"
"I'm Ted from Suck Your Bank Account Dry. You're husband told me to call this number and said you could answer some questions for me."
"Ummm, Ted. I'm gonna have Hubs get back with you."
I am it. It really isn't that bad...really. Just annoyng sometimes.
Now, if I could just get Hubs to pay me $1.50/hour things might just start looking up.
19 comments:
This made me laugh a little, I feel bad so sorry. My husband is not deaf but I swear I am still the POC ALL THE TIME. On my day "off"
Babe should I change his diaper?
What time does he want to eat lunch?
the baby is crying what should i do?
hahahahaha yeah right day off.
love your blog!
I am the POC at home too...my husband never answers the phone, the doorbell or wants to make any calls. But I understand what you're talking about...I dated a deaf man for 5 years. I just sold my TTY (do they still make those?!) that I've had for 22yrs!
Okay, so I laughed at this. My mother is the same and she doesn't even have a deaf husband. :) Luckily for me I live in a foriegn country with a native and can pretend I'm helpless. Helpless but not shameless.
It's me at my house too. Tobei does not deal with anything. He even happily hands all telemarketer calls to me... at least when he does answer the ringing phone which is maybe once a month.
This made me laugh too - but I think that was your intention :-) I do love these posts of yours as they always make me appreciate just how complex your life is. If it makes you feel any better I am POC 95% of the time too, simply because my husband has zero interest in dealing with those calls, arrangements etc. I shall add POC to my list of CEO, CFO and CIO of the homestead :-)
I hadn't thought about all these little POC's. I can imagine that a bureaucrat could really be a pain in the ass when he is so stuck to the policy guide.
I wish they'd pay me an extra $1.50 at work to be the POC! - G
I think I'm our POC, too, but without a good reason for it!
=)
I can have a houseful of people and the only ones that answer the phone are me and my three year old. Not good.
Yes! YES! I'm the POC and my husband ISN'T deaf. And i don't get the extra $1.50 an hour either! What did we do wrong?
This was great! I can totally relate.
Even with phones all over the house no one answers it but me because they all (meaning all the kids) have a cell phone so it couldn't be for them!
I think it all just comes with the territory of being the woman and the mom - you have to know where every paper is at, what time everything is and you still have to answer the ding dong phone!
Thanks for the laugh today!
I love that you share your frustrations with us in such a humorous way. It really makes me appreciate that my husband is only 60% deaf in one year. It could always be worse. I can't imagine being the POC for every.single.freaking.thing. Girl, you need a vacation. What time shall I pick you up?
Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
@TweetingMama
ted from "suck your bank account dry" had me rolling. funny stuff :)
You seriously make me laugh. I love your sense of humor. I remember the 1st time I met Bryan and you tried to teach me how to say how are you? I failed miserably.
"I'm Ted from Suck Your Bank Account Dry...." That totally cracked me up...And, though I shouldn't I chuckled through this whole post.
Hey if you're wiling to be others' POC, I and my friends would love to have you work for us, too. Of course, we'd pay you as much as you make at home...
Interesting :) I've never really thought about the whole POC thing. I guess for us, Jason is the POC since I speak preschool Japanese and am pretty much useless when confronted with a native Japanese speaker who can't speak English. After reading this, I feel bad that you're pretty much the only POC in your family. Makes me feel bad that I have to make Jason ours too.
Totally know the feeling.... We are the secretaries! Mom and always give out email too, since dad checks it about 5 million times. He CAN talk with his mega amplified phone that everyone in the house can hear. But that's only for "private" conversations
A M E N.
Oh I'm the POC too. Doesnt matter that I'm deafer than my deaf husband is, I'm still the POC! I think the extra $1.50 an hour is a great idea! :-)
Post a Comment