Monday, February 13, 2012

Suck it up!

Some people blog for money. Others blog for their posterity. Still some people are really talented and blog about it so the rest of us can feel like idiots.

Why do I blog? Because my sister told me, "You suck at blogging."

 Now, before you go and start hating her, you must know that she was right.

You see, when I first started out, I was private...as in you only read my blog if I invited you. Yes, I was exclusive. A snob. Truthfully I didn't really understand what public blogging meant. I only had 3 readers: Me (I was there reading everyday...my first follower), Hubs (who still will only read if it's about him) and my sister.

Plus I really wasn't all that interesting....in blog form. AND I only posted once every 2 or 3 weeks.

The blog wasn't all that great and I was okay with that.  

Until the word suck was used to describe it. I was not going to suck at anything.  Not totally true. If she would have told me I sucked at keeping up with laundry...no problem here. Or that I sucked at craft making...no offense taken. My fashion yup...with a capitol S.

But for whatever reason, "You suck at blogging" ignited something deep within me. I may suck at a lot of things, but blogging wasn't going to be one of them.

So I rolled up my sleeves and gall darn it I wrote. I wrote about something. And everything. And nothing. And when I felt like I wasn't getting enough attention I was good enough, I came out of the blogging closet. YUP, I went public!!!!!

And guess what? I really liked it. The more I wrote, the easier it was to express...well... me. In my way. In my voice. And people like me. You like me. (I'm not subliminal at all....you will give me all your money, you want some Diet Coke, you like me...) Two hundred of you like me enough to follow me...with your faces. That is brave.

So Sister, who I love...like a sister...Thanks! Thanks for telling me I suck.

What got you blogging?

11 comments:

Juli said...

My grandmother died. She was always the one who wrote, little notes, long stories, memoirs. I started as a way to recognize her within myself.

Now I blog to save my sanity, and the $20 co pay for therapy.

And for the record... I suck at lots of stuff. :)

CB said...

Well you definately do not suck at blogging!

I started, like most people, as a way to share our lives with our parents and grandparents who live all over and as a family scrapbook.

The parents and grandparents never look at the blog? I have heard this from other people too, that family doesn't visit? But, I do make my blog into books so the family journal/scrapbook is great and the friends made are the huge bonus I never expected!

Susan Anderson said...

You sure don't suck now.

And your "voice" has a lot to do with that...

=)

PS. Happy Valentine's Day!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I loooved this post Steph. You definitely do not suck at blogging. And as far as a voice yours is one of the clearest ones I read. I love it! I blog because I have a poor memory. I started to think about my most vivid memories and I realized they were all of my childhood vacations. Then I remembered my dad had always done up a special album for each big trip. We would pour over it afterward cementing those memories in my mind. I wanted to try and do that for my kids, but more of the every day.
Have a great Valentine's Day!
Dana

jen said...

Thanks for not sucking any more. We all appreciate it.

I blog for me. I read back through my posts and I'm always so glad I preserved what was going on around here.

Melanie said...

Actually, I see 201 people that love you. And that is because you are awesome! :)

I started blogging for posterity...then for money...then as a way to reach out to others...and now, after over 4 years, I'm sort of taking a break. Keeping up with three blogs (one for posterity, one for money/help, and one for reaching out) is kinda hard.

Mary said...

You sooo do NOT suck at blogging any more! :)
I started blogging after reading a couple of blogs on a daily basis and thought I could do it, too.

Tim and Sara said...

When my blog grows up, I hope it's just like yours. Because right now mine's a little pathetic. But I don't care that much.

Wendy said...

I started one blog as a way to help deal with my husband's vascular dementia (he was around 58 & I was 39 when he was diagnosed). My other blog is just about our four pugs

Lois Sparks said...

good for you! I love reading your blog posts. It has a good balance of funny and seriousness (when needed) which I really need in my mundane life.

My friend suggested the blogging world to me in 2004 but I eventually stopped. I got back on it 3 yrs after when my husband and I were just dating (so his parents and sisters can get to know me even though we were far away) and then married life with kids got me going. I didn't care either if I had a lot of followers or not.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you went public because you have a lot of great material to share :) You most definitely don't suck at blogging.

I've been blogging for so long that I don't quite remember why I even started in the first place. I think it was just a lot of nonsense in the beginning and slowly it became more of a way of telling my family that Jason and I are still alive in Japan and that we haven't been eaten alive by earthquakes and such.