I was supposed to be at the party. Instead I was parking.
It was my senior year. A good friend of mine was living with us at the time because her family had moved for a new job and it was her senior year. Who wants to move their senior year? Not me. And not her. So she was living with us.(That's an important part of the story...later.)
A guy from school was having a party at his house and my boyfriend and I went...briefly. We had every intention of staying. But being hormonal and all our intentions changed and we opted on ditching the party, finding a back road and sucking face.
We went somewhere really romantic, you know, an old, wet, dirty back road that lead to a natural gas well. It was muddy, stinky...but it was deserted. Perfect.
Kiss kiss...talk...kiss kiss. Etc. Etc. Etc. About an hour later, we decide we should head back home, you know, it being midnight and all. As we were driving down the road, I see my parents' car heading toward the party house. The place I was not. Busted. Crap!
"Get out of the car!" I tell him. And out he jumped. If only my children would obey that quickly. I sped home, hoping...no, I'm pretty sure I was praying...that my parents didn't know I had skipped out on the party. Because if they figured that part out....well, the rest was no secret.
What I didn't know was that my friend had come home on time...without me. When asked where I was, she told them I was still at the party playing volleyball or something. Not fully convinced, my dad called the party house and the younger sister answered. She informed him I had, in fact left the party hours earlier.
I snuck in the door, tiptoed to my room where my friend also slept. But sleeping she was not. Her face was white and she looked as scared as I felt.
"Do they know?" I asked.
Before she could answer, my mom appeared in my doorway, nostrils flaring, smoke coming out her ears, doing all she can to keep calm. "To the living room...now!" she gritted.
My stomach dropped. My palms began to sweat and I started to cry...because that's what I do. I cry. And cry, I did. It might not have been so bad if it had been Dad who was in my doorway. He was a little more controlled, a little more tender...a little less scary. Mom was more emotional, and blunt and explosive (in a non-violent way).
Mom let into me...as she should have...for about 5 minutes. I couldn't lie, because I didn't know how much they knew and I didn't know if she would know I was lying. So I told the truth. Yes, we had left the party. Yes we were alone. Yes, there was kissing involved. No, nothing like that happened.
By the time Dad got home, I was bawling, Mom was venting and I am sure everyone in the house was listening intently from the back rooms. Once Dad was there and helped take things down a notch or two we were able to talk. By the end of it all, they were telling me about times they had gotten caught doing similar things.
I can't say I never parked after that.
But I can say I never got caught.
7 comments:
Ha! So you learned your lesson. Good girl.
But it reminds me of the time a friend and I skipped a party we were supposed to be walking to and from. Instead, we took her parents' other car that we were expressly told not to touch (since we were only juniors and neither of us had a license). As we crested a hill headed back to her house, her parents were coming down the hill in their other car. What did we do? We ducked down. As though the car were driving itself. We got home before them (they were going to check on a sick neighbor) and they never said a word. We don't know if they saw us and left it alone since the car was ok or if they genuinely didn't know that this was their car being phantomly driven.
Also, MAN AM I LAUGHING AT SUCK FACE BECAUSE THAT TAKES ME BACK.
Aggghhh!!!! I was sick for you! There were several times I was, first of all, grateful that guardian angels kept me from just kissing, and second, grateful my parents didn't know what I was doing. Aren't you glad we come out of it alive? Great story!
ugh my stomach dropped with you...
i mean i guess at least they didn't catch ya parking! haha
Growing up ain't for sissies, is it?
And neither is parenting teens!!
;)
What a great post! I can definitely relate! Careful is as careful does! ha!
Ha ha ha...we had a deserted family farm I used to go "parking" at. Almost got caught once when my sister came to feed her horse HOURS after she usually did. But...being the sly talker I was then, I made up a story and got out of it. :)
No...my husband never went to "the farm" with me when we were dating. He said he didn't want to be just another one of "my boys". Years later, when we were married and they were about to level out the farm (tear it down) i asked him if he wanted another chance. He said, "no"...and now it's too late. :)
Ah....the memories. Thanks for the share.
I only pray my kids don't make my same decisions.
And sadly, I know they will make them anyway.
Post a Comment