Thursday, September 30, 2010

Flicking Etiquette

I am always looking for opportunities to teach my children manners and etiquette.

"When someone says 'Hello', it is polite to say hello back."
"If you see a piece of trash on the ground, you should pick it up and throw it away. It's just the right thing to do."
"If you see a young or old woman opening a door, you hustle over there and hold it open for her. It's what gentlemen do."

That's how they will learn.

Well, I was at a loss the other day.

We pull into the Target parking lot, right up next to a really nice, gray car. I was careful not to bump it with my door, because a ding just isn't nice. I'm unloading my baby when one of my boys, who shall remain unnamed, flicked a booger...and it landed on the car. The fancy-schmancy car.

This was no small booger, mind you. Oh, no. I will not describe it to you; I will spare you that much. But suffice it to say it was big and it was ugly. And it was on the car door.

"..... that is just gross," I scolded! "Next time grab a tissue. Booger flicking just isn't cool." Apparently I need to teach them a little more about personal hygene and proper disposal of nasal discharge.

So now what? What is the right thing to do next?

Do you leave a note, apologizing for the thoughtlessness of my booger-flicking son?

Do I try and remove it, risking a car alarm that would most definitely draw attention to the sticky mess?

Or do I walk away, hoping that there are no passangers who will see it before the wind can blow it off?

You guessed it, folks. I took the high road.

I quickly loaded my kids into the cart and hot tailed it into Target, looking over my shoulder to make sure no-one could associate me with the said booger.

High road, indeed.

What would you have done??

11 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Exactly what you did.

=)

Carrie said...

That is just so gross I don't even have an answer for you. But I think I would have left a note. Saying something like "sorry about the flicked booger on your car. We realize it was SNOT very nice;)

and my verification word is "modest." Hello? Not at EFY people.

Mary said...

That is sooooo funny! I would've done what you had done. The sun will dry it up and they probably won't even notice it!

Juli said...

I would have rolled my eyes, contemplated why I had kids in the first place, said out loud "Boys are so gross"... and then taken the high road. :) Glad to see it's not just me with these dilemas. -J

Lisa said...

I bet a bird ate it before they even got back out. If not, Mary is right. A sun dried booger.

Anonymous said...

As a mother of boys myself, aren't you always amazed of the words that actually have to come out of your mouth!? I know I am! I would have done the same thing..

Jenny said...

Stef, I'm sorry about your child's headaches. Have you checked into food sensitivies?

Unknown said...

Ewww!! That said, I'd probably do the same as you and vamoosed as quickly as I can and try to forget the whole business :)

Anonymous said...

I am super squeamish about boogers so I totally scrolled by your post. Unfortunately my speed reading abilities means that I still got the gist of the post. Ewwwwwww! LOL! Sorry, my stomach is doing flip flops, must go now....- G

Rachelle and sometimes Katelyn said...

That's a hard one. I think I would risk the alarm just for the fact that my boys seem to have the same hygiene problem except the boggers are on the wall next to their pillow on the bed. Let me tell you, those suckers DON'T just come off easily once dried. Oh, they do come off, but not without taking some paint with it. So... With that being said, I would risk the alarm on there car just to save them the expensive paint job later. :) hee hee hee

paige said...

I'd run. Kids and all. :)

PS: I finally added you to my blog list. :) I update it once in a blue moon and I finally got around to it it today.