What does a man in a monkey suit and a roast in the crock-pot have in common?
The answer is God.
You see, in my little world, today was a stressful day. Stress, as in worry. Stress, as in anxious. You know the kind: Mommy stress.
As many of you know, today we took our little little Camden to get his growth hormone stimulation test done. No, he wasn't having brain surgery. No it wasn't a kidney transplant. But in my little world or more importantly in his little world, it was just as huge.
I was nervous for him. We fasted this past weekend and prayed for him. I knew that he wasn't going to die or anything like that. But he was so scared and would tear up every time he would think about it. He is only four.
Mostly I prayed that he would have a good doctor who would help him feel comfortable and not scared. Or at least less scared. I knew that physically he would be okay, but his emotional well being was my biggest worry.
So today we left our house at 6:45am, not really knowing where to go. I called the hospital and they couldn't see his appointment anywhere. "You have got to be kidding me!" I thought. Finally, after about 20 minutes of fretting, thinking that we were going to have to go through this whole routine again and knowing that his little heart would break, finally, we found where we were supposed to be.
We walked in, signed in and and waited for our turn. He was fighting back the sobs. It was breaking my heart. I said a little prayer for his benefit that the person who greeted him would be kind. Sure enough, a man with monkey scrubs, called his name. He was kind. He was patient. He was my answer.
We were there from 7:30am-12pm. We grabbed something to eat and got home at 2:15pm. I had wonderful friends who had offered to take care of my little Briggedy-doo-dah. By the time we picked him up he was fed, napped and probably cleaner than he was left.
By then, I was done. Pooped, physically and emotionally. I knew what was ahead of me. Picking up the 3 older kids, getting homework done, making dinner, getting ready for work (5:30-12:30am)... It was all very overwhelming.
I really am not the type to ask for help for myself. "Watch my kids?" I can ask that any day. "Can you pick up some milk for me from Sam's?" Not a problem. But if you ask me how I am doing, I will mostly answer, "I'm okay. I've got it under control. I'm good."
But when I walked in my house and smelled a pot roast cooking in my kitchen I was touched. Then I went in and read the note that my sister had left me. This is the sister who was visiting from Idaho, who had stayed a day longer so that my husband could come with me to the appointment.
Her note read something like, "We love you very much. We are praying that all is well with Camden. Heavenly Father wanted me to make this for you. Your needs are known to Him. Love you!"
I cried. This is how He answers prayer. Through a man with a monkey shirt and a sister who knows my unspoken need for a roast in my crockpot for dinner. In my little world, He knew what I needed.
He is the Answer, always the Answer.
16 comments:
A wonderful post. My heart was with you, as I know those mommy anxieties can be huge when we see our little ones in distress. God does reveal himself in so many ways. Thank you for sharing yours with us.
Dana
This is a beautiful post. I couldn't agree more with you.
You are in my prayers. Keep us posted friend. xoxo
phew this hit a soft spot and made my cry. those tender mercies are so wonderful arent they! I am so glad you were able to have a feeling of peace on that hard day, I hope everything at the dr goes ok. let us know!
Stef you guys did have a rough day. I know how hard it is to watch your little one go through things which are very scary to them but need to be done. YOU are a strong woman. I admire your strength. Let us know what you find out.
Aren't sisters the best? I know it's hard to ask for help...I'm that same way: I've always (seemingly) got thing under control!
I love this! You are right on! Sometimes we can miss it...but it really is true! I'm so glad you saw God in your stressful day...and you knew those answers were from Him!
Enjoy your week!
my eyes teared up on this one. . .so glad that HE was with you today and with Camden as well. Hope you continue to feel HIM!
Jus beautiful.. and so a God thing
Thank you for sharing...
Oh, I love that. I love how she wrote that "Heavenly Father" wanted her to make the pot roast for you.
What a wise and loving sister you have.
=)
Ps. Hope all will be well for your boy.
Anything involving the health of your child is hard to deal with, anxiety cannot be kept at bay. It really is those little touches like the monkey suited nurse and the kindness of your sister that make such times so much more bearable. I hope all is well for your little boy.
Awesome. Just Awesome.
Oh that so made me cry. That beautiful note from your sis. and just thinking of your little Camden. I hope he's doing good. What a brave little boy.
{HUGS and Prayers}
I love it. Beautifully said.
I've always believed that God works through people. Bless your sister. What an incredibly stressful and anxious filled day - I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for you and your son. I hope you can both get lots of rest tonight and tomorrow. Take care. - G
What a nice story. I teared up a little.
Post a Comment