Every night, without fail, I pull into my drive and think to myself, "Tonight is going to be the night. Tonight is going to be the night I walk into my house and my whole family is going to be murdered."
Lovely thought, isn't it.
I am not quite sure where it comes from but it is there.
Well, that's not entirely true. I think I have told you that Hubs isn't a door locker. He never has been and I have accepted that he never will be. This could be where the fear comes from.
But more than likely it comes from an experience I had about 5 years ago in Arizona.
As always, I worked nights at ASU interpreting, getting home about 10pm. I walked into the house one night and my husband is lying face down on the ground. No, he wasn't dead. He was sleeping...like a rock. And I really mean that. When he is out, He. Is. Out. My point? Nothing can wake him up.
But one thing did bug me. The door was open, wide open. It was a cool night, which doesn't always happen in Arizona. I figured he must have been enjoying the coolness.
I woke him and sent him off to bed while I stuck around for a little while devouring a good book. All of a sudden I hear the awful, crazy, scary noise outside. It sounded like a cat crying, loudly, over and over again. It scared me enough that I went to the door and made sure that it was locked.
Off to bed I went. But for some reason I kept getting the feeling that I needed to check my kids. So I did. I got this feeling about every half hour, all night long. It was the weirdest thing. I would wake up with the thought, "Go check your kids." So, of course I would. Nothing seemed wrong.
Finally, about 4am I was able to sleep. Hubs woke up at about 6am to go to the gym. When I finally woke up, at about 7am, I walk into the livingroom to see my door wide open again. This is weird because the car was always parked in the garage so there would be no reason for Hubs to go out the front. Odd.
Kobe, who was 4, woke up and walked up to me and matter-of-factly said, "Mommy, there was a woman in my room last night."
What? Maybe he had dreamt it. "Oh, really?"
"Yeah. She picked me up off my bed and grabbed my arms and put me on the floor hard. Then she told me that she was going to be my new mommy now."
That was too many details, in my mind, for a child of his age to come up with. Things were getting a little weird to me. The door wide open last night, the promptings throughout the night, the door wide open again in the morning. So when Hubs got home I asked him if he had opened the front door. When he responded no, I freaked out.
Someone had to have come in our house while Hubs was sleeping, and hid somewhere. I don't know if she was trying to take Kobe and would have if I hadn't been prompted to check on him all night. She had to have left when Hubs left for the gym.
We called the police, but there wasn't much they could do. No forced entry. Hello, the door was open...beckoning for anyone to come in. It scared me. Pretty bad.
And so, my friends, this is why, when I pull in from work, I think to myself, "Tonight is the night."
Thankfully, I am wrong.
So far....
Thanks for the prompts, Mama Kat and Jenny Matlock.
37 comments:
Good grief that is seriously scary. It makes me want to go check my kids - and they are fine - great post!
That hubby needs to learn to lock the doors! My late father always said "A locked door will keep you safe from harm. Just don't lock yourself out so you won't need the locksmith! Good post! Anne
Scary! Ok, seriously, your husband has no excuses-he has to lock doors! You just can't not do that. Yikes!
OH MY GOSH I am freaking out now! That is the scariest thing I have ever heard in my life.
Thank goodness for spiritual promptings that probably saved your family.
Wow...............
OMG that gave me the creeps! Now I'm all paranoid sitting in my living room! I hate it when the hubs goes to bed and leaves the front door open, just the screen door, and it freaks me out!
Wow! I have goosebumps right now. Thank all that is holy that you listened to your intuition that night!!
Gosh - poor you. It is awful when you just can't kick a feeling & thought out.
You scared me and it didn't even happen to me!!!
You poor thing.
I can't imagine what a would do in your shoes after wanting to wring your husband's neck.
great post! the days of leaving doors open are long gone. I'm always triple checking them.
Wow, that is so incredibly freaky. I am so thankful everything turned out alright.
Have you ever wondered if maybe it was a ghost?
mine is a car wreck. today is the day i will get that phone call....i find it hard to give up the fear that my family will die young.
SCARY, STEF. I mean that really gives me the creeps! Yikes!
Oh my! that's a terrible way to live! I'm paranoid too & hubs tells me I worry too much but he's not a door locker either - sheesh! it's only our Family, right?!
Thankful nothing happened to yours that night!! & grateful for your sensitive 6th sense!
AAAHHH! How freaky! I hate this story. I always feel like this when husband goes on campouts.
I got sick with fear reading this. Holy crap! That is my worst nightmare. Did you ever report it?
Such a terrible worry!
Take care!
Coralie
HOW SCARY! Yeah...I am paranoid too. My hubs told me one day that our daughter came to get him and said there was a man at the door!!! She had OPENED THE DOOR TO A STRANGER and she is only four.
Thankfully it was our State Representative out canvassing the neighborhood, but SCARY SCARY. And hubs said, I guess that is why you always lock the top lock and turn on the alarm, huh?
doofis!
that is just seriously creepy ... and scary ... and well just plain ugly ... and of course every mom's worst nightmare .... thanks goodness you kept checking in on the kids
I'm now even more terrified than I usally am. I freak out when my husband leaves the door unlocked - I actually used to wake up and make sure he locked it when he left in the morning, and only when I'd checked could I fall back asleep or go in the shower or whatever. Now I set the alarm when I'm in the house all by myself. That's soo scary. Glad Kobe was okay!!
Oh sweetie, what an awful experience! It gave me goosebumps just reading it!
Make sure those doors get locked!
Thank god you were all ok!!
Okay, that is about as freaky as it gets.
Is your hubby still casual about locking the door after that experience?!
Yikes. No wonder you worry!
"/
PS. Glad you listened to those promptings!!
That is terrifying! I am one who locks and chains the door but my boyfriend lives with an old man now, that never locks his door and I told Phil just last night , to do me a favor and lock the french doors just so I can sleep easy .
I think I want to go check the locks on my door right now and it;s 3:15 in the afternoon! Scary!
Oh my gosh... that made me hold me breath thinking of someone in the house... & yeah, that's too much detail for a child to think of...
We live in the country & find ourselves not locking the doors often but we keep hearing of horrible stories where I'm even setting the alarm every night now...
Okay, that is just plain SCARY! I would be totally freaked out! I'm glad there wasn't a scarier ending!
I am a door locker, almost obssesive door locker. I have locked myself out a couple of times. But it is worth it in the end.... Maybe he will reconsider???
Oh my gosh how scary for you. I'm so glad that everyone was alright and that you had the understanding to follow through on your instincts.
Oh my Goodness. Your post gave me the creeps. I'm glad all is well! La
Wow - that gives me the chills - super freaky and scary!!
I am seriously a door locker too. Everyone teases me about it but I want those doors locked.
Next time they bug me I am going to show them this post.
Glad everything was OK then and now.
that made me tear up and freak out and get chills. I would have just lost it.
Totally freaky. :( This is why I can not watch CSI, Criminal Minds, Dateline, or the news when in the house alone. -J
Oh my! I just had a slight heart attack after reading this post! I'm so glad that you followed your gut instinct and checked on your kids all the time. I know I would've freaked out too. Wow! Now I know why I am so OCD about things like this...because it really can happen. Good thing we have double locks on our door. Oh and our apartment requires a security code and key. And my room is closer to the front entryway than E's.
Thanks for the suspense! Hope your hubs remembers to lock the door after all this!
Holy Hannah…I'm glad that everyone was safe in the end.
Man, that's disturbing.
What a terrifying link to Alphabe-Thursday.
I was hoping you were going to say it was a joke. OMG! This is really frightening.
I'm so glad you listened to your Momma's intuition.
Tell your husband we all said to LOCK THE DOOR!
Thanks for this sobering reminder of 'what might have been'.
Thanks for linking.
A+
OK, can I breathe out now please? This is seriously worrying. You have to make your hubby start locking doors. Really!!
Oh my gosh!!! That is INCREDIBLY terrifying!!! I'm so glad that nothing bad happened. Makes me want to go check around my house for no apparent reason. I am so sorry that happened to you :o(
Post a Comment