There is nothing cool about the way it happened.
I was leaning on the back of a chair in the kitchen, listening to my younger sisters talk and watching my older sister clean the floor. The chair unexpectedly slipped and so did I.
It hurt. We are talking "Can I get an epidural in my arm" hurt.
I cried.
They laughed. Oh, and called me a baby.
In their defense, my nickname was "Pale Face" and it wasn't because I am fair skinned, though I am that. I had a tendency to cry...a lot. You would never know that now, but it is true.
In my defense, my arm was, at that moment, shaped like the letter U.
I picked myself up and walked into the front room, to lick my wounds alone. At that moment, my mom and other older sister walked in the room. (Cue hero/ Indiana Jones music.) Mom took one look and knew a normal arm shouldn't look like that and we headed to Urgent Care.
Tammy, my rough tough older sister, wrapped her coat around my shoulders and gave me a piece of her Double Bubble gum. Such a tender gesture. Gum was a much sought after commodity in our house, and she gave me hers.
I remember walking up to the Urgent Care sobbing. I remember walking in and seeing all these people staring at me, and I was suddenly able to control it. They took an x-ray because the U-shaped arm wasn't enough, and sure enough, it was broken.
The worst part was getting the bone placed. It was jammed pretty bad.
The best part?
Self-induced sister guilt.
6 comments:
Oww! But I do admit, I love sister guilt myself. LOL
The time I broke my arm, I was at a drive-in theater with my family playing with my big sister on the see-saw before the movie started. She jumped off, which made me fall directly on the arm in question.
Throughout the whole movie I kept telling my parents the arm was broken, but they were watching Doris Day and thought I was being dramatic. It took until the movie was over for me to finally talk them into the ER.
My dad felt VERY guilty, and I found it quite satisfying (albeit painful) that I had been right.
=)
Ooo, very painful way to make your sisters feel guilty for calling you a baby! Good thing your mom and older sister didn't think it was funny because that would have definitely sucked.
what a story! how many sister do you have??
i've never broken a bone, hard to believe since i was a tomboy.
have a great weekend :)
Are you Serious!!!!!!!! 3 broken arms in your household in one 4 month period???? Or was this an old story????
I just recently broke my toe and I'm shocked at how much pain can emanate from such a little tiny bone. Ouch, the arm sounds horrible! Hope you're on the mend now.
Post a Comment