Monday, September 20, 2010

Wipe Out

I have had a lot of roommates in my lifetime.

My freshman year in college I lived with 9 other girls in a house known as "The Passion Palace." Yeah, I know. What kind of parents leave their 18 year old daughter in a place with a name like that? Uh, mine.

I've had roomies from outside our country, and some from within. Roommates who could hear, roommates who could not. Roommates I loved. Roommates I liked. Roommates I never really got to know.

But there was one roommate that just sticks out. She wasn't a horrible person. In fact she was my sister's best friend. But she wasn't a great roommate. Example:

With 6 girls living under one roof, you can imagine how fast toilet paper runs out. So we set up a rotation of buying toilet paper. No big deal. Seems fair? That's what we thought.

Only this particular roommate refused to buy toilet paper.

"I am never here. I don't use the toilet paper here. So I don't think that I need to buy it."

What!! Okay, I had never really paid attention as to whether she used the toilet there or not, but I am pretty sure everyone has to go in the mornings when they wake up. I know I do and I have two bladders, for Pete's sake.  I am sure she didn't go outside and find a bush to water.

And most of us use the restroom before we go to bed at night. And if she didn't, then surely she would need to use it in the middle of the night. Maybe she was sneaking in, using one square at a time so none of us would notice.

"Oh, please," I said. "You totally use the bathroom. As much as the rest of us do. That's just lame!" (This was back when using the term "lame" wasn't lame.)

I can't remember if she ended up providing toilet paper or not. It was such a trivial thing, and yet I still get riled up when I think about it.

That is just something that I just don't have to deal with anymore. Instead I get to deal with other things:

"You are no longer allowed to stand when you pee because you aren't that good of an aim, son."
"If you are the one who uses the last piece of toilet paper, you need to be the one to replace it."
"Thanks, but saving the last teaspoon of milk really isn't being thoughtful."

The difference between these last roommates and the first is this:

I love them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true! When you have your own family, it makes a huge difference. :)

Erin said...

Oh that reminds me of that one Seinfeld episode..."Can you spare a square?" haha

And my husband is THE WORST at replacing toilet paper! That is what I get for living in a house of men!

Susan Anderson said...

Yep. Funny how that loving them thing can make such a difference.

;)

mountain mama said...

great post.
you are so funny and i love the way you look at life!

have a great day!

Lisa said...

Ha! Stupid roommate. You should have taught her a lesson by going a week with everyone bringing their own personal TP in just for themselves, them removing it when leaving the bathroom. Wonder if she'd have noticed, since she NEVER USED THE BATHROOM. I hate her and I don't even know her.

Unknown said...

Ha! The Passion Palace?!? Was the place really called that? That's awesome! Totally sounds like a naughty place. I can't believe that your parents let you live there :)

Bad roommates suck when you were living with them but they also provide you with great anecdotes when you no longer live with them, right?

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I lost you. And now I've found you again. So I've put you on my blogroll so that I and others can easily visit. I would have been totally annoyed with the No toilet paper for me, roommate. What I appreciated is that it still bugs you today when you think about it. I do that too.
Dana

Gabe said...

Ok, I am never going to be able to watch Wipe Out with my kids again with out laughing!

Don't ya, just love how some people's minds work? Seriously, they should give lessons to those of us with common courtesy, because sometimes I wish I could act like that too! But, my mama raised me better than that!

Ninny said...

Uh, does that mean you don't love me? I wasn't the one with the TP problem right? I can't even remember now, which would make it funny if I was and even funnier that you still get riled up about it.