Friday, September 3, 2010

To tip or not to tip

I have never thought of myself as a cheapskate. I pay my babysitters well because I want them to come back. When it comes to paying tips I think I am right on. I usually give money equal to the service I receive.

Well, my nephew worked at Sonic this past summer and when we were visiting he mentioned that he had earned a lot of tips that night.

What?

At Sonic??

I didn't know I was expected to tip there. I mean, it is pretty cool that they can balance the food on a tray while riding roller blades. That is impressive...seeing that I can't even ride rollerblades and push a stroller at the same time without falling.

But in my mind, they are the same as the cashier at McDonalds. It never crossed my mind that I was dissing my carhop.

My Saturday confession: I have never tipped at Sonic. And am not sure that I ever will.

Have you??

13 comments:

Morgan said...

I haven't, and I won't. I agree with you, fast food is fast food....not a sit-down restaurant.

NatureGirl said...

I bring dinner to the table almost every night and no one has ever tipped me...

Gabe said...

opps! Guess I missed that one too!

Maybe if they did tricks on their skates. . .

Rachelle and sometimes Katelyn said...

I have, and the only reason I knew you were suppose to is because my brother Ryan worked there. I now just go through the drive thru. No tip expected there.

paige said...

I'm with you. I don't think I ever would. We have to draw the line somewhere, right?

Carrie said...

Always. I always tip at Sonice.


NAH-- J/K. I guess I will from now on;)

Carrie said...

sheesh..can I spell already? SONIC.

Suzy Q said...

Never have...but now I'm a little horrified, because I did some digging and came up with this: http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Sonic-Paying-New-Carhops-Tip-Wage-As-Labor-Costs-Rise/2008-10-28/Article.aspx?oid=562455. There were other links that said Sonic's hops make minimum wage: http://www.jobvent.com/sonic-drive-in-job-reviews-C5549. Guess I'll ask the next time I go there!

Unknown said...

Hmm, I've never been to a Sonic's so I don't know what it's like. I guess if it's fast food like a McD's, I wouldn't really give a tip either.

Marie Nicole said...

Been to Sonic once. Didn't tip and never even thought about it. Recently I walked into a hair salon. First questions I asked them was how much it would cost. When they told me $28 I agreed to a cut. When I was charged $37 I looked at my hair dresser and asked for my change. I figure her extra $9 was the tip...

Tiffany said...

No I have never tipped at Sonic, and probably never will. I admit, I sometimes have 'tipping issues'. I think tipping is often too 'above and beyond' in a lot of situations. I should probably quit while I get too carried away...

Teachinfourth said...

Say WHAT?

I've tipped at Burger King before...

Lyssa said...

You should totally tip at Sonic. Anyone who actually has to bring you your food deserves a little something. What's an extra buck to me? It may be a lot to them. Besides, their tater tots are like pillows from heaven.