Tuesday, September 28, 2010

There is no Arizona...I mean California

Who here doesn't hate needles? Okay, you are just weird. Honestly, I don't hate needles. I just don't particularly like them. Unless they are the needle that administers an epidural. But as a general rule, I don't love them.

My sister once stepped on a needle and half of it broke off in her foot and she had to have surgery. But that is a sewing needle and that's not the type I am talking about today.  

I am talking about the needles are used to puncture your skin and suck things out of or squirt thing into your body. Lovely, beautiful and down right pleasurable.

This is what I keep telling my 4 year old. He is super duper small for his age. We found out that he has delayed bone age and has had blood drawn two different times. He is now terrified of doctors and needles. Also showers, but that is irrelevant.

Well, I just found out that he has low growth hormone levels and so he has to have a growth hormone stimulation test. This involves not only a needle but an IV being put into his teeny tiny arm and being left there for about 2-3 hours.

Did I mention that he isn't supposed to eat for 12 hours before the test? Oh, and the test may have to be done at 6am. Such a lovely time to wake a four year old and tell him that he can't eat for another 3 hours. Can I tell you how excited I am?

Mostly, though, I am wondering how I am going to break the news to him.

"Hey, you know how you hate needles. Well, good news..."
or
"I promise. We are going to the zoo."
or
"Maybe this time it won't hurt."

There just isn't a good way to tell a kid. I choose honesty, because that's the kind of mom I am.

"Yes, it is going to hurt."
and
"Yes, you are brave."
and
"No, we can't skip town."
and the obvious
"Please don't pee on Mommy this time."

Needles...

Let's keep it in California, shall we?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

THAT SERIOUSLY SUCKS ..I hated when my kids had to have needles but ya know IV's never seemed as rough for them ..Maybe because they used smaller needles for that, usually a butterly, and those hurt a lot less.. Hoping the same applies to your little guy. OH and they have this new numbing stuff out that they can put on the skin for 5 minutes before and they don't feel a thing..

Unknown said...

So sorry! Will be praying for you and your little guy!!

Diane said...

So sorry for your little guy. As much as I hate needles being stuck in myself, I would have gladly taken one for my little guys on many occasions.

Gabe said...

needles are awful unless the are made of rocks. Leslie went through some serious Dr fears after having her tonsils out. . .kind of hard to explain to a four year old that it really is for their benefit!!

Will be praying for both of you!

jsturner1 said...

Poor little buddy! I am so sorry! Jamison had shots twice a day when he was 2 and it was the worst. I even had to do some of them. We used to pay him a quarter a stick. Which meant if they missed 3 times, he got a quarter for each attempt. He got better about the screaming and thrashing. Why do we have to do these things to our poor little kids???!!!

NatureGirl said...

Poor little man...we are rootin' for him! Let us all know when the procedure is...we will fast along with him?

Susan Anderson said...

That sounds so hard! And the not eating part is almost as bad as the needles.

Poor little guy.

"/

jen said...

Hopefully they'll get to the answer quickly.
When my Ben was about that age, he got a massive eye infection, requiring drops every 15 minutes AROUND THE CLOCK for two weeks. It was awful. He would fight me every time. Finally, in exhaustion, I dropped to my knees and said, "Heavenly Father, I can do this, but I can't do it if he keeps fighting me. Please help him relax when he has to have the drops."
I swear, then next time he had to have drops, he cocked his head back and let me do it.
It didn't make the eye infection go away, but it did make the treatment easier to administer.
Good luck. My prayers will be with you.

Tylaine said...

Oh poor little guy. My heart would just break as a mom seeing my little guy go through that. Man if I could take the needles for him I would. I bet he's a strong little guy though. :)

Lisa said...

Oh, good luck with that. Poor kid. But mostly, poor mom.

Debbie said...

I totally sympathize. When my oldest was 7 he was diagnosed with diabetes. He was my one who would always scream bloody murder any time a needle came into view. We did a lot of talking about how he could do this. And he could.

Unknown said...

ooo, poor little guy. It must suck to be so young and have to go through all that! I agree that being honest is probably the best way to go. Otherwise, they'll eventually catch on and then they'll never believe anything you say anymore, right? Hope everything went smoothly!

Leah said...

Oh that is just awful! Poor guy!
I lived overseas all my life and I had to suffer through many many shots. I wish I could tell you that it got better and I didn't mind it as much as I got used to it but I didn't. It always hurt!! But I'm 26 now and doing well, so I hope that gives you some hope.

Jenny said...

I can see I have a lot of catching up to do here. I'm sorry about your son. This sounds like scary stuff.