"Olive Juice."
Don't you remember that game? A person stands a few feet away and you mouth "Olive Juice" and ask them what you said. They are bound to say, "I love you." Why? Because it looks the same on your mouth.
There are plenty of deaf people who can read lips. And they are very good at it. So good it is almost scary. Hubs is not one of them.
I think it is a huge misconception that if you are deaf, you can read lips. The amount of training that is required to learn this skill is unbelievable. Trying to understand a spoken language that you have never heard. Ever. And all they have to go on is how the word looks on the mouth. That's it.
They don't know that B and P make different sounds because you can't see it on the lips. They look identical. Go ahead. Try it. The difference is in how you move the air in your mouth. And you can't see air. This is the same for T and D, Z and S, F and V.
So if Hubs asks me, "What took you so long." and I speak back to him, "I was stuck on the train," he could possible interpret that as "I was stuck in the drain." Huh?
There are times though that I wish he could read my lips. You know, like when I am in the middle of changing a poopie diaper and I need him to grab more wipes. "Could you get more wipes? Please?"
But instead he sees, "Hood you ate mo why peas please."
Or when a child of mine has hit his head and is bleeding, I could say, "I need a wash cloth."
But instead, he hears, "I nee a was claw."
How about when I am nursing my newborn baby, which in my case requires two hands, I could tell him, "Look out! Your boys are killing each other."
But instead he only gets, "Lou ow! Yo bows ah gill eat otter."
Not great communication, if you ask me.
Probably the only thing that my husband can lipread it the phrase, "Can you read my lips?"
At which point he will sign back, "No. Can you read my hands?"
14 comments:
How frustrating, I can't even imagine!
You always make me think about stuff with your posts though, and I never in a million years realized how hard it would be to read lips!
oh my hubs is the WORST lip reader and I am fantastic at it... comes in handy when I want to follow others conversations from the other side of the restaurant.
I know how annoying it can be!
Very interesting! Olive Juice-I love you.. aww
That's why I stopped reading lips…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1GqFWEXMs
Love this episode.
Hi this is HUBS...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh-5H6DZxHQ&feature=related
I know this was supposed to be serious but I couldn't help but giggle. I have a deaf friend who was trained to sign and read lips. He was raised her in KY and he said this twang we have here makes lip reading difficult?? I am like what?? You were raised here and taught by the same people you are lipreading and you don't have the accent lol..
Sorry, I couldn't help laughing at your husband's misinterpretations :) This is an interesting post since I've always wondered how it is that deaf people can read lips. I've tried learning how to do it and it's hard enough doing it as a hearing person. It definitely must be frustrating, though when you're hands are tied and you are trying to convey things to your husband!
ok that is funny and yes frustrating...esp when ur hands are full! haha...the poopy diaper was a hoot....
i'm still waiting for you to write a book...you'd make a killing off ur stories!
Oh my gosh! I never even thought of those things. The c sound being invisible? Wow. Bless your heart for all of that. Points in heaven for sure. :)
I did not realize how hard it is to read lips either - yet again a wonderful insight into the challenges of your world and that of deaf people.
That is really a challenge I had never thought of. It did remind me of my friend in high school whose sister was deaf. For some reason, that girl could read lips like crazy. I know she was the exception and not the norm.
=)
I love that he will sign back "No, Can you read my hands?"
Yeah, I saw the olive juice thing in a movie once.
I have to give you props girl, it would be a challenge!
Your truly awesome! Thanks for the smile!
And did you know that saying "Prune Juice" makes it looks like you are blowing smooochies to the other person! I am a bit of a lip reader, but not trained in it, just something that I need to do because I had frequent ear infections as a kid and when I couldn't hear as well, I had to really focus on people's facial expressions. - G
Post a Comment