Today is my son's birthday. You know what this means, right? Treats for the whole class so that everyone will think he is cool and he will know just how much I love him. Of course this visit has to happen right smack dab in the middle of baby's nap. Of course!
That's alright. I can just have baby wait to go down for another hour. That would have worked out super, except that upon dropping Birthday Boy off at school this morning I was told they would be having a fire drill during the normal snack time and could I come in a little later. Baby cakes can't wait that long for a nap.
Drat! I so don't want to bring everyone with me plus drinks plus the snack. I would have baby in one arm. Camden straggling behind and my sick daughter...
Wait a second... Idea.
My daughter, who is 8 years old is home sick with the stomach flu. The school is seriously 2 blocks away. I would only be gone for 15 minutes, tops. She knows my cell phone number. We have a dog. Baby is sleeping....
But what if someone breaks into the house.
Or what if the clothes dryer catches on fire and burns down the house.
What if baby wakes up and throws up and Kyla freaks out and runs out into the street crying, "Mommy. Why did you leave us?! Help!! Can some one please help me!"
But what are the chances of that happening? I mean, really?
2 blocks. 15 minutes.
A lifetime of Mommy guilt.
Temptation.
7 comments:
We've all been there. I never actually succumbed, but I sure thought about it once or twice.
Being a mom is such a crazy job at times.
=)
oh my gosh I can totally see you point on this one!!!! ah its SO hard. cause most of the time they would be fine, but its that ONE time that would be devastating, will that ONE time be the one time you are gone?
we have a swimming pool in our apartment complex and the baby monitor doesnt reach, it was always such a struggle this summer to go down there or not during baby's nap time. That would be the time my house caught on fire or something just awful. :( I could never bring myself to do it!
ps sorry this is such a long comment but I really like the way you lay out your posts, they are fun to read, with the colors and font sizes, nicely done!
My mom left me home with 5 kids under me when I was 8 years old. Hello hippy times.
Although I would never do the same thing to my own child. That and I am not ca-razy like her.
Tempting though, for sure.
Can't wait to find out what happened!!
freerangekids.wordpress.com LOL!
Oh, the suspense! The temptations! I can totally relate since there have been times that the same idea popped into my head. It's times like these that having the ability to make a temporary clone of yourself would be so nice, isn't it?
Yeah, I think we've all done it. You just the only one with the courage enough to talk about it!
I admit, I run to redbox to return movies while leaving my nine year old in charge. She likes it. It's like her sense of freedom.
I think you and I should live closer so we could hang out. We have a lot in common.
If a mom didn't bring treats to MY class on their kid's birthday, I'd question their coolness, too...
Post a Comment