Monday, September 27, 2010

It was an accident, I swear!

I grew up in a family where swearing just didn't happen.

Okay, well, that isn't entirely true. My mom was raised on a farm and that gave her an excuse for her little slips here and there. At least that is what my dad would tell us.

But overall, most of the time, unless you saw a guarder snake in the sewing room, there wasn't much swearing that happened in our house.

Oh, wait, unless you were my older sister and had had it up to your eyeballs in house work, that you felt you were doing all alone. She would, from time to time, for sheer shock value, say hell or damn.

Nope, there was no swearing in the Lee household. It just didn't happen.

Okay, there was that one time when we were in a car accident and dad swore at us. "I knew it would get you out of the car faster," was the reason he gave.

But, really, we didn't swear at my house. Or maybe I should rephrase that. I didn't swear at my house growing up. Never. Not ever.

Do you all remember, a long time ago,  there was a program called Shick that was supposed to help people who smoked quit? I do. I remember its commercial would come on in the mornings when I was waiting for Gilligan's Island or something to come on.

Well, my sister and I were playing around and I, instead of saying Shick said.... you guessed it, the S-word. My sister stood up and said, "You just cussed!! I am going to tell Daddy what you said when he gets home."

I am not quite sure why she was going to wait for my dad to come home, because mom was there all day. Maybe she thought it would be lost on the whole farm-girl excuse and I would not be properly punished. But she waited. And I, the sweet little girl that I was...and I was sweet, fretted all day long.

Well, when Dad walked through the door, she ran to him immediately and told him what I had said. I explained what I had meant to say and didn't get into trouble.

Now that I am a mom, there is no swearing in my house. My children are not allowed to swear. And they don't. Yet. I don't swear. Ever.

Except when I am at work and am interpreting others' conversations. I swear like a sailor then.  But that is it.

I swear.

10 comments:

Diane said...

I swear I don't mean to swear but sometimes s*** just happens! :0 My stepsister once told on me for saying the B word but I swore on my life that I said "bench" and she just misunderstood me. The parents actually bought it...suckers!

Rheanna Bristol said...

That is funny. I totally believe that there is absolutely no swearing in your house. ;-)

I've been following you awhile. Your on my blogroll :-)

Have a great week!

Juli said...

I said sh*t today at work and realized there was an eldery man behind me. I appoligized and he just looked at me, and said "Hey, sh*t happens." :) -J

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! We hardly swore either but once in a while, the *$#@ hit the fan LOL. She waited for Dad because I bet she was thinking you'd be in more trouble with him. :)

Joy For Your Journey said...

I am glad you didn't get in trouble!! :-) I have never sworn, except once we were going through Hoover Dam and it was taking forever!! After about 45 minutes of not going over 5 mph, I said to my husband, "Won't you be glad when we are out of this dam thing?" I seriously meant the dam, but my kids all went crazy thinking I meant the other word. They still like to tease me about that.

Erin said...

I was the same way, if my mom said hell or crap you KNEW she meant business! I try so very hard to not swear at all around my kids!

Susan Anderson said...

Funny post.

We don't swear at my house, either. Not ever! (Well, mostly never.)

;)

Tiffany said...

Hmmm-there are three words I say far too regularly, but as all three of them are found in the Bible, I don't sweat it too much...

Teachinfourth said...

http://teachinfourth.blogspot.com/2009/10/moments-with-joey-profanity.html

I think I've said enough...

Leah said...

I really should take a lesson from your family and stop swearing so much. Ugh. I say the f-word far too often when I'm explaining something annoying or bad...