Monday, January 13, 2014

So I Married a Deaf Man: Flooring

"You know what I think we should do?" he asked.

"Sell our children and buy a small island?" What? Don't tell me you haven't ever considered..... nevermind. "What should we do?" I ask.

"We should take out all the carpet in our house and put down hardwood."

"Are you kidding me?? You couldn't pay me to put hard floors in my house!"  Mmmmm...okay. On second thought, maybe you could pay me, but only then.

Don't get me wrong. Having wood floors would look really classy. And it seems it would be easier to clean. Stain resistant. Pet smell resistant. There are many many pluses.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because we have five children." He sometimes forgets. "And those five children are not quiet. They play... loudly. They play with each other... loudly.  They play with friends...loudly. They play the piano,.the trumpet, the violin, the recorder, everything...loudly. Sometimes they are quiet...when they are sleeping. That's about it."

He just looked at me, smiled and said, "And the problem is...."

Sigh.....

2 comments:

Juli said...

That is the exact same reason I went with carpet. Now that they are older I am considering the hardwood... but only considering.... because you know, with hardwood comes ninja sliding across them in socks, which leads to heads banging into walls, and kids into each other, which leads to... more noise.

Susan Anderson said...

I agree. We kept the carpet in our living room and bedrooms.

=)