Thursday, January 9, 2014

Books!!

Remember last year when I didn't really write very much on my blog?

Yeah, well, I was reading. Actually, I was working. But while I was working, I was reading. For whatever reason, I was able to read some really great, fun books. I thought I would share them with you....because I am a giver.

Hands Of My Father: A Hearing Boy, His Deaf Parents and The Language of Love. I really liked this book a lot. It is rich with cultural information and a great perspective of what it was like growing up with Deaf parents. LOVED this book!

Dragon's Keep This was a fun read. For young adults.

29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life  This book came highly recommended. I started it, but it didn't hold my attention so after trying to finish it, I decided to stop. It was alright.

Unbroken Yeah, I think everyone has already read this book. But if you haven't, IT IS A MUST! An amazing story of survival in so many different ways. Favorite book of the year.

Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant  I couldn't put these books down. The last one wasn't my favorite, but worth finishing the series. To me it was a combination of Hunger Games and The Giver. It's coming out in movie form later this year I believe. So hurry and read them.

The Joy Luck Club I really enjoyed this book. I kept getting the characters confused but the stories were fascinating.

The Beyonders Series  All three of them. It is a fun, adventurous tale that my kids will love! I would recommend it for young readers and parents alike.

American Sniper This is Chris Kyle's story. Of course we know that he was killed last year. So sad. But this guy was amazing. Great read. Lots of swear words though.

A Tale Dark and Grimm  This was probably my second favorite books this year. Takes Hansel and Gretel's story and expounds on it. There is death. There is magic. There is adventure. I recommend it. Fun and quick.

Death Be Not Proud  Mehhh. This book was super disorganized and depressing. Would not recommend it. At. All.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane  A fun tale. I liked it.

The False Princess  Fun read about a princess who found out she was never a princess and her adventure finding the magic within her.

Lone Survivor An amazing true story about Marcus Luttrell. I won't watch the movie because it is rated R, but the story is amazing. The language got worse as the book went on. If you can overlook that, then it is a great read.

My Story by Elizabeth Smart  Fascinating story. I loved hearing how she drew strength from her family, even though they were not physically with her. It's a tough one to read.

The United States vs. Santa Claus An exaggerated yet humorous tale of how the political system in our country can destroy something as meaningful as Santa. It is a little crude at times, but most of it is amazing.

The Uglies Series I liked the first two books more than the last. But also one that I had to finish because I just needed to know how it all ended. I didn't read the last book...The Extras. I was done.

Allerednic This was an interesting read although the last few chapter bothered me. But still overall, a good book.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty This book was so short! Like 10 pages maybe. But I want to watch the movie and couldn't do it until I read the book. Done!

Miracles and Massacres  Fascinating untold stories from America's history. I am not done with this book, but will be soon.

So what books do you recommend? I'm always looking for a good book to read. Do share!

3 comments:

Just A Normal Mom said...

What a great list. I did not get much reading done at all last year. Something about moving to a new state and all that comes with it tends to take up a lot of time. :) I'm going to keep this list as I'm making it a point to read more this year!

Susan Anderson said...

Lately I've been reading some light but mostly unracy romances by Carla Kelly. You might like them.

=)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

YOU TEASED ME
I thought when you said book it was b/c you wrote yours finally! ha