Hubs can play football. I mean, really play football. He is an all-around athlete. There really isn't a game that he can't play.
Okay, so maybe not musical chairs, but who is good at that game anyway.
You know what happens every year on Thanksgiving morning, right? The Turkey Bowl. If you aren't up to speed, let me explain. The Turkey Bowl is when all men, old and young, fat and slim, athletic or awkward... all come together and relive the glory days. Football, folks. That's what it is.
I am not sure how this tradition started. Perhaps it was the woman who had had it up to her eyebrows with her Hubs coming in asking, "Is it ready yet?" She finally looked at him and said, "Can't you call a few friends and go throw the football around for a few hours????"
Perhaps some husband needed an excuse to not help with the clean-up? "Oh, honey. I totally twisted my ankle this morning at the Turkey Bowl. I think I need to sit right here in front of the TV with my pie and ice my foot. I wouldn't want to strain it or anything. By the way, can you bring me a soda?"
Whatever it's origins, it is an annual event for Hubs.
The first time he goes to a new Turkey Bowl it is a guarantee that he will be the last one to be picked. Guaranteed. I don't know if people think you have to hear to play or if they just aren't sure how they will communicate. Maybe they can't judge his ability because he isn't out there talking shmack. Whatever the case...always last picks.
Element of surprise.
He is short. He is fast. He is Mr. Athlete.
And he is Deaf.
Take that!
5 comments:
As I see it, he is totally a secret weapon for whichever team he's on. He's the player no one suspects would be good because of his deafness and then when he gets the ball, WHAM!! he'll become like a superhero on the field. I'd totally pick him in the middle because choosing him first would make the other team suspicious. :)
I hated the team picking on the playground, just hated it. I always volunteered to keep score or do something important on the sidelines before they even got to the team picking exercises I wouldn't have to go through beingh the last one picked. Funny how in the classroom, when we were picking project teams based on work ethic, smarts,etc, I was always the first one picked, if I wasn't already the team captain. - G
wanna know a secret? "I" used to go play with my brothers. I was so super cool at home from college on break..just me and the boy and some young cute missionaries..(wink..wink).
and..uhm...looking back..all the guys were probably annoyed.
AWESOME. Even more awesome is that it gets the men out of the house. :)
Don't you love it when your man impresses the socks of someone else who wasn't expecting it. I think the hubs should have a new title. Turkey bowl surprise!
Dana
Post a Comment