I am going to start listening to Christmas music now. Okay, yesterday. Really, this last Monday.
I just can't help myself. There are so many good songs!! Who was the meanie that decided that we have to cram all that good music listening into less than 30 days? Who?
I have a friend who doesn't listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. It is prohibited. Who bans Christmas music for 11 months out of the year?
Not me. I start listening to it after Halloween.
Don't judge. If Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart and Michael's can do it, then why not me? It's not like I'm making money listening to it. Totally not commercializing Christ's birthday in any way. If anything, I am extending my celebration of the Savior's birth.
Granted, there are a few Frostys and Sleigh Rides, Jingle Bells and Rudolphs. But the majority are uplifting and celebratory of the Savior's humble birth.
And it's the good stuff too: Carpenters, Amy Grant, Mannaheim Steamroller, Frank Sinatra, Jewel, Johnny Mathas, MoTab (Mormon Tabernacle Choir), Charlotte Churchill. Okay, there is some Mariah Carey, Josh Groban, Clay Aiken, Bare Naked Ladies. A little Martina, Faith Hill, Brad Paisley, Burl Ives, Harry Connick Jr. A bit of Hilary Weeks, Michael McLean, Point of Grace, Sarah McLachlan, and Veggie Tales.
So many songs and so little time. So why limit yourself?
So go ahead. Don't hide in your closets!! Take off the headphones and crank up the "Jingle Bells", "Silent Night"s and "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...."
It's that time of year, people! Enjoy it while you can!
ps...Blue is my favorite Christmas color. Just a little FYI.
12 comments:
Stef,
I'm totally w/you on the Christmas music. I've been looking forward to Christmas (I don't know why) for the past few months. Hey, we had a silver and blue Christmas two years ago and it was "bluetiful."
I too have a couple of Christmas favorites that include Amy Grant, Mannaheim Steamroller, who can resist Karen singing anything, but my favorite is "I heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns (one of my two favorite groups). That song is beautiful and soothing. Yes, I'm also a Barry Manilow fan and love his Christmas album. There are others, but I'll have to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to play them. It gives me something to look forward to.
Merry Christmas!
We always wait until Thanksgiving day to start the Christmas music...but you're right, why wait? We love so many songs and it just puts us in a good mood. My fave is Mary Boy Child...not sure who sings it though! I'm going to pop a cd in this weekend...I'm sure It'll cause a reaction around here!
I love that you have included the veggie tales on your list.Such a mom! Just like me. :)
girl bring it on! i started playing my fav all time gotta have this during the SEASON...sarah maclaclan's 'wintersong' cd. you must get it!
hey you'd love my neighbor then! she's a freak for christmas...her sisters comes over and they have christmas in july...they bake the full meal and play songs and watch christmas movies all weekend! love her!
I can't do it. I have to wait until December 1 to start listening to the music! But I loved your happy post anyway!
NO!!!! Please, not yet! I love Christmas music and carols but not until right before Christmas!
In my family, we do have the 'not until after Thanksgiving' rule. I do love my Christmas music, though! LOVE IT!!!
=)
PS. Enjoy it, Stef. Maybe I can get a little vicarious pre-Christmas bliss from you.
RIGHT THERE WITH YOU, SISTER! I used to think it was wrong~not sure why. And it's surely not like I'm wishing away Thanksgiving. I think it's a continuation of expressing appreciation for the magic that IS the holiday season, as well as a loving Heavenly Father who has given us such good reason to celebrate~by giving us his son as the best Christmas present in time.
CRANK IT UP...and I love blue, too! SILVER AND BLUE, SILVER AND BLUE...sing it with me!
I have had the Taylor Swift Christmas cd in my car since LAST Christmas!!!I love it!
Shhh, if you listen carefully you can here my radio playing all the way over here on the east coast. ;)
Christmas music....I think they've started playing them here too at many department stores too. Of course, the absolute favorite Christmas song that they play everywhere is "Last Christmas" which in my opinion is quite depressing....but to each his own I guess!
I've already started judging you...
I guess we could still be friends though. Provided that you listen to Halloween music during the month of October.
Post a Comment