Ahh, Thanksgiving. I love it!
My first memories of Thanksgiving are waking up to the smell of turkey cooking. I also remember always watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV. For some reason I remember one year there were these really big pig balloons and we were teasing this guy who really liked my oldest sister about them. Odd memory, don't you think?
My mom is a pie maker. She make tons of pies. All on the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. She is amazing with the designs she makes on her crusts. And the smells, Oh, the smells. I loved and still do, when I come home walking into the warm house and smelling apple pies, cherry pies, pumkin pies all baking in her oven. It is welcoming and amazing! See why we typically go there for Thanksgiving.
We would always eat on my mom's best china. Many a goblets were broken at Thanksgiving. My sister actually bit one just to see what would happen. It did. We usually had other friends or family at our house, so I was always at the little kid table. Even when I was big. Even now. Okay, not now. But that's only because it isn't called the little kid table. That or there are little-er kids than me. Hmmph. Someday!
The rest of the afternoon was usually spent eating pie, playing games, eating left overs, cleaning up, more pie, watching and playing football, visits from friends, still more pie, sometimes a movie, and finishing up the pie. Good times!
Just so you don't think I'm un-grateful because I haven't mentioned being thankful all month...here is my thankful list:
I am thankful....
...for allrecipes.com and other websites/blogs with recipes on them. They make me look good.
...for a full night sleep without interruptions. That happened last night.
...for laundry. Just kidding!
...for a good book, a warm blanket and the dream of having time to use them both at the same time.
...that Hubs decided, on his own, to put up Christmas lights, for the first time evah!!!
...for my iphone. I really can do everything on there.
...for my blog. I had no idea how much fulfillment I would get from blogging. It really is fun for me. Both in my writing and in reading others' too. Thank you!!
...for my dog. He greets me every night when I come home to a dark, quiet house. A lot of comfort comes knowing that murderers, theives and other varments are detered from getting us because there is a mean sounding bark on the other side of the door.
...for friends. I am thankful for the friends who will call me in a weak moment and share their yummy chinese craving with me, because I am supportive that way. Or the friend who has a coupon for the new peppermint hot chocolate from Starbucks and drops one off for me.
...for my children. They are the joys of my life. I thank God every day for the opportunity to be their mother. And am so glad how forgiving they are of my many, many flaws! Plus, they provide great blogging material!!
...for Hubs. This handsome guy lets me write about him. Every week. On a public forum. And he still loves me. Who wouldn't be thankful for that? He is the best!! Then, as if that isn't enough, he is the "champ" dad ever. (Excuse the ASL speak.) Plus he's handsome. I tell ya ladies, I scored...big time!!
But mostly, I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who blesses me with everything that I have. He loves me, even when I am unloveable and mean, undeserving and always falling short. So much so that He sent His Son to make it possible for me return to Him. For that I am eternally grateful!
Happy Thanksgiving!!
What are you thankful for?
9 comments:
I don't know if you remember but I blogged pretty much the same thing about the kid's table and my gram's. So funny! If I were there this year I'd be at the kid's table. Instead, I'll be on the floor in my own house because we invited 10 more people than our house will comfortably hold.
GENIUSES.
Happy thanksgiving!
Too funny! If I was home this year, I would totally be sitting at the kids table too! Though to tell you the truth, I'd rather be there than to sit with all the grown ups because they'll just ask me question after question about me being a grownup. At least at the kids table, we get to laugh at silly things and make a mess :)
Happy Thanksgiving!
What a great list! I've noticed that just about everybody's posts I've read include the same traditions. Now THAT is a national holiday!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
There are too many things to list which I am thankful for, but in visiting my brother, I realize luxuries like cars and a semi-large home are things I sometimes take for granted...
I am thankful for you!!!! I would be happy to bring you hot chocolate again! Esp if it means you teach my lesson..........
This post made me hungry. My mom is the best pie maker in the world too. You should check out a very popular Canadian children's author called Robert Munsch. One of his book is called "More Pies" You'd like it... oh and the kids too.
Dana
Happy Belated Thanksgiving...
Blessings fly your way.
awards/treats 4 u
I loved the kids table! It was always the coolest place to hang out in the dining room. I'm with you - let's bring back the kids table!
As for things I am thankful for....my family, my education, my husband, the fact that it is not snowing today, the volunteers I work with, good food...Have a great weekend! - G
Hey Steff..
you have a lovely Blog here..!!
I love the way you write those colorful words in between.
Infact, when your Blog opened, I almost thought it crashed- since it showed a big oops.. :)
I too wanted to do a Thanks Giving post but could not- was away at a wedding..
You have a unique way of writing- feel refreshed reading the details!!
You are so right about Blogging giving fulfillment.. I second that!
Do you do poetry too? I couldn't find one to compliment so left an invitation!!
Do feel free to share your creation.. they would be loved as much as I loved reading a few here..
Happy Thanks Giving!!
Loads of Love xoxox
Post a Comment