Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sock it to 'em.

Dad had a sock drawer.

I don't think that there were many socks kept in that drawer. At least not that I remember. I only remember one sock residing in that drawer. It was dark brown and it was full of change.

"Why did your dad keep his change in a sock?"

This was back before piggy banks were invented. Huh? What? No, that's not right. Come to think of it, I am not sure why he did that. I just know that he did. Maybe he was trying to hide his change from the likes of me.

Obviously, if I am telling you about the sock, then you know that I found the sock. And the goods therein.

Once I found it, I came up with the most brilliant plan. Take some of the change, go to the Circle K and buy a ton of candy. Bring it home and sell the candy for half the price that I bought it for.

Genius!! (Remember, I was maybe 8 years old.)

Apparently making money wasn't as important as making friends. I was a hit. I mean, why go to the store and buy a candy bar for $.45 when you can buy it from me for $.25? They loved me. Sometimes they could haggle me down to $.15. This may be where my displeasure for haggling began.

I would buy the candy, set up shop, sell it all then take my un-profit and buy more, each time sneaking more and more from my dad's sock. My booming business lasted about 4 hours.

Well, eventually my theifery was discovered and my store went bust. I remember feeling horrible for stealing my dad's money...from the dark brown sock...hidden badly in his sock drawer.

It was then, at that  young age,  that I learned three great lessons:

Hiding your money in a brown sock in a sock drawer is just asking for trouble.

I should never go into business...having friends is still more important to me than making a buck!

Never take something that isn't yours because in the end you will get caught, feel guilty...

...and blog about it later.

9 comments:

Rheanna Bristol said...

He was asking for it flaunting a sock like that! Was it the old tube socks with the blue and yellow rings around the tops? So funny, that's the kind of socks I can remember my dad having!

Unknown said...

Well at least it was only a sock you found in your dad's sock drawer. It would have been mentally scarring if you found other stuff....

I still find it amusing how you were losing out on profits from your little business. I

paige said...

I'd applaud you for your entrepreneurial spirit but, well...

At least you felt bad. :)

Note to self: Move change from current hiding spot.

Unknown said...

lmbo well gee only one sock in the drawer I can't figure out why you found it

Diane said...

So where were all his socks?! Was there a mismatched sock basket like I have here at my house? Socks without mates are constantly at the top of my list of things that STRESS me out!

Teachinfourth said...

My dad did that, too! Only those coins were worth money, unbeknownst to my younger brother who took quite a bit of this money and blew it on video games…

Yeah, it wasn't pretty.

Susan Anderson said...

Okay, you did the wrong thing...

But it sure was a brilliant enterprise you created!

;)

Anonymous said...

love the colorful writing,
your creativity amazes me.
;)

Anonymous said...

Greetings, How are you?
It is a thrill to pay you a visit today!
We have some special awards/treats for week 11 participants, and
Old poems, or poems unrelated to our theme are welcome .
Hope to see you in..
http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-potluck-magic-miracles-wonder.html
We treasure your support !
Have A Terrific Wednesday!
Happy Thanksgiving Ahead!
xxx

signed in to follow your blog,
welcome visiting and following us.

welcome your instant contribution.