Friday, November 12, 2010

Mormon Myth Buster

I am a Mormon. Could you tell? Not that it matters...except that it is pretty much my life. And since this blog is about my life, I thought it would be an important thing to put out there.

Being Mormon, I get some of the most interesting questions. So, let me save you all the trouble. Here are the FAQs and answers.

"Do Mormons have horns."
We do not have horns. Nope. We file those off of our young before we leave the hospital, before the hearing test and after the circumcision. It's just easier that way.  (Actually never got this question, but I read it somewhere and it made me laugh.)

"So, Mormons don't like to talk about their underwear, do they?"
I don't think I know anyone who likes to sit around with a bowl of chips and salsa discussing their drawers. I think it is odd that people want to. Don't you?

"So, in your temples...do you... you know?"
No. No! Eeewe no!! Procreation, consummation, and intimate recreation are not things that take place there. Believe me. I would know.

"Polygamy?"
There are zero sister wives in my house. (Mormons don't do that.) But I might consider it IF she was really really ugly, and couldn't have kids, and loved to fold and put away laundry and mop the floor. Oh, and if she would sit and sing songs with me around the piano and she would blog too and follow me and tell me how funny I am. And she would watch the kids while Hubs and I went on a date. Almost like a live in maid-n-nanny. Is that wrong?

"Are you required to have lots of kid?"
Didn't you know that the more kids you have the better chance you have of making it into heaven? No? If it was that easy, I would be on fertility pills and have kids coming out my eyeballs and the name of my blog would be changed to "Ooops...My Head Just Exploded". (Cue sister wife laughing.)

"You don't drink? Ever?"
Well, we do have to drink water. Everyone does. I live on the wild side, though, and drink Diet Coke now and then...it isn't forbidden by-the-way. (I think I may have just lost a few Mormon followers.) No alcohol, coffee or tea. That's pretty much all that I don't drink. Oh, and Dr Pepper. I don't like the taste.

"Three hour church? Are you serious?"
I say this one to myself everyweek every once in a while, too.  It's tough, trying to teach my kids to be reverent and listen. But there is something to be said about worshiping as a family. For three hours. Not quite sure at this point what is to be said about it, but "good long nap" is what comes to mind.

A few last words:

No, not all Mormons like carrots in their Jell-O.
Yes, I will share my 20 year supply of food with you if there is no food anywhere else.
I will be accepting applications for sister wife after the New Year. Please include a picture.

Any questions?

23 comments:

Unknown said...

So funny! I love the weird questions too

Unknown said...

You are hilarious :) I've never really known much about what it's like to be a Mormon but I've never had any of these questions come to mind. Well, maybe the polygamy one but only because that's what the TV told me was true and we all know that TV *never* lies.

Three hours of church? Seriously? Wow, that's definitely some willpower there! When I was Catholic, just sitting there for an hour-ish was too much for me to handle. I think you should reward your kids with candy for sitting through 3 hours of church.

Oh and I love to talk about my underwear ALL THE TIME. It's all I ever talk about :)

Kerri said...

You are too much Stef!
I never heard any of those questions before...except the dumb poygamy one. My bestfriend all through school was/is Mormon....she is the BEST! I used to go to church with her sometimes for youth group...such good times!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your great sense of humor! I love it! You have a gift of diffusing a potentially argumentative topic with your humor. ; )

jsturner1 said...

Hmmm I think you just lost a Mormon follower because you don't like Dr. Pepper. Next time were at the movies and I'm in the consession line and you say get me a Diet Coke........I might just get you a Dr. Pepper.....Love Ya Stef!

Joy For Your Journey said...

Very well done!! I loved that. I always find it amazing that the news reports that the polygamist are Mormon. If that is how well they check their facts, is there anything we can believe?

Oh, but about the sister wife, thing. I am with ya! I would love someone to come and clean my house, cook, and do the laundry. And ugly is good!Intimate issues would be a good thing too. :-)

Susan Anderson said...

Great post, Steff. And so much fun that I'm still chuckling...

=D

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I'm not Mormon, but the Mormon's I know are hilarious. So my question would be, is having a rockin sense of humour a Mormon prerequisite. If I weren't Catholic and married I might sign up for Sister minus the wife part. Folding the laundry would be a whole lot more fun doing it with you. I'm certain of that.
Dana

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!! I'm Mormon too and have been trying to think of a way to do something similar to this on my blog. Thank you and I LOVE your sense of humor!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want to ask you a question but can't find your email anywhere. Would you mind emailing me with it so I can ask? purseblogger@gmail.com Thanks!

Jenny said...

Well thank heavens I got the facts straight! I have been deeply concerned about these exact issues living about 1/8th of a mile from a big Mormon church.

You're a goof.

Lisa said...

Well done, thou good and faithful blogger. :)

Ninny said...

You still make me laugh. That is why I love you so much !

Ninny said...

Oh and I think Mormons do have horns. Isn't Moroni blowing one on the top of almost every temple?

Cori White said...

im all about a sister wife if she meets the same criteria as you.. but no wierd ceremonies or wierd rings like that show on TLC... ( they made it look so OK..)
im not one for sharing though..
i dont share well with others..especially my hubby..

Juli said...

I don't share well with others. So, while the sister wife thing could sound good, I probabbly shouldn't go there.

Thanks for clearing some of these things up. I actually was wondering some things about the Mormon religion the other day. Not these things exactly though... -J

Sarah said...

LOL. You are too funny! I just found your blog and you are in my ward and my best friend from AZ's cousin... small world. You are hilarious!

paige said...

I started HEAVING with laughter at "filing off horns" and stopped abruptly at "no coffee and tea." HARSH. I'd die. I exist on tea and coffee. I'm going to hell, aren't I??

Now I want a sister wife. I'll send in my application to be yours. I already read and follow your blog and tell you you're funny. (Because you are. See? I did it again. POINTS.)

Carrots in Jell-o? That's bizarre. Now I want to try it.

Mary said...

Being Catholic, we get the whole "big family" thing, too.
I was cracking up reading this post!

I have an award for you, so stop by and pick it up!
http://mary-lifeinasmalltown.blogspot.com/2010/11/double-whammy.html

Unknown said...

PEople seriously ask you this stuff? HA!

Teachinfourth said...

When I was in the 6th grade I was slammed up against the wall at school and two other boys felt all along to the top of my head for my horns...

I didn't have them yet.

imbeingheldhostage said...

I am laughing hysterically. One myth you might want to bust is, NO we don't hide food under our houses.

Angela said...

OMGsh... LOVE this post! LOL. I'm going to have to link to it on my blog!! You do have a darling sense of humor. I found your blog thru Lara's FHE blog. Love it! I'm a sign terp too, here in Idaho. Where are you at? Who's ur hubby? (Just wondering, cuz I served an ASL mission... small world. might know him, or prob someone he knows if not.) Fun stuff! Bookmarking your blog.