Well, I am not sure you can count what I do as running... But I call it running. My legs are moving faster than they do when I walk, and I breath faster, so that constitutes as running, right?
Why do I run? Because I like to sweat. Not the "walk-out-of-your-house-in-mid-July-in-Phoenix" sweat. I mean the "I-want-to-fall-down-and-die-because-I-can't-take-another-step sweat. There's just something about feeling like you are going to collapse from exhaustion that does it for me.
I have always loved to run. Okay, not true. Totally not true.
My first year to really try out running, I was in Jr High and I decided to try out cross-country. A little advice, cross country isn't for the casual runner. Oh, no. But my older sister was a state champion cross country runner. So I thought, "What the hay!" But then on my first meet I thought, "What.The. Heck!!" I wanted to cry. I think I did. In the middle of the desert where no-one else could see me.
And I spit under a rock. My grandma told me it would make the pain go away.
It didn't.
One season. That was the length of my cross-country career.
Track. Everyone likes track, right? I was in Jr High. Track translated into boys. Hours at a time with boys. I liked running short distances: short, sweet and less pain. But, again, my sister was a state champion long distance runner and my coaches must have mistaken me for her. So to the 800 I went. I hated it.
I remember running in my last track meet and my little sister coming up behind me. I could tell that she needed to pass me but didn't want to hurt my feelings. "Just pass me. I don't care." And off she went. On my last 200meters, I heard my dad cheering me on from the side. I yelled to him, "I never have to run another lap in my life after this!"
So, like I said, I haven't always liked running. But I do enjoy it now.
Maybe because, lately, I have been doing it on my treadmill. You know, where there is zero wind resistance, I can control the uphills and downhills. I am forced to keep a steady pace. I know exactly how far I've traveled and how many calories I've burned. I can watch 19 and Counting and lose track of time wondering how in the heck that mama does it!
But today I tried something a little different. I ran outside. I put on my new running shoes, styled my new ipod arm band, got my stick of gum and off I went. I decided on the whole interval approach: run 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes, then run another 5 minutes, and then walk, etc.
I was really surprised that I was able to go the 5 miles without falling over and dying. I had chosen the uphill for the first half of my journey. I was very thankful at the 20 minute mark. But I did it. And I didn't die.
One problem. I got the hiccups. And they keep showing up at random times: While drinking water. While
But that's not my point.
My point is, I like to run. I like to sweat. I'd like to fit into my pre-baby jeans. And that is why....
...I run.
PS. I'm on a journey to find my cute butt at my new blog Ooops...there goes my butt. (See above tab.) Care to join me? Find your own butt too.)
8 comments:
I've never been a big fan of running though I have always wanted to be. We just can't seem to connect. Never heard that about spitting under a rock cause there have been times I know I would have tried it!
I hate running (cyclist) but I will be spitting under a few rocks...just for kicks!
lmbo OK you have to find Sinbad the comedian. If you have Netflix his routines are on there. He talks about being 15 an running how we were like flying man run as hard as we can. At 35 it's a whole other ball game. We half run, check our pulse, holler about how tired we are.. Roflmbo I was like PREECH Sinbad
Good for you! I have done all sorts of exercise classes, spinning, step, aerobics, body pump you name it but running, it has never taken with me and I really dislike it in fact. But it is a wonderful form of exercise and 5 miles is very good! Keep going!
I wish I could say the same about running!
But it's GREAT to hear that you are taking such good care of yourself. It will pay off big-time in your general health by the time you hit my age.
=)
i keep thinking that once this baby is out i am going to start running again. i have a double stroller and no excuses (except that it will be winter and i don't do anything outside in inclimate weather, which is why i only played indoor sports)
if we lived closer i would join you.... in the spring of course, if it's not too hot, or too cold, and the wind isn't blowing. these stipulations really cut back on your running day options. perhaps i need to toughen up :)
LOL I never liked running. I started running a couple of years ago merely for weigh loss. But now, I really like to run and I miss it when I don't. In fact, I ran a half marathon in the spring. I guess it grows on you!
Wow, I have total respect for you. I hate running too and I refuse to run because I really hate it that much. However, I swim. Still, being able to run that 5 miles and actually making it through the entire run...that's incredible!
Post a Comment