Monday, November 29, 2010

Coming clean

Are there places you don't want people to see?

Not those places. We all have those places. Okay, so maybe not those Victoria Secret models. But let me remind you, we hate them. They don't count. I'm not talking about those places!

You know the places I am talking about. The places where every time you go to that place you say to yourself, "Ugh! Why me?!?"

Surely you have some of those? If not, then I hate you too!! Okay, not really. Yeah, maybe just a little. But not Victoria Secret model hate. No. Just envious dislike.

I thought that I would put mine out for the world to see. I thought about having before and after pictures. Except then you all would stop reading my blog. But really I decided not to take pictures because then I would actually have to clean these places.  Enough to brag. That's a lot of cleaning.

What I am really looking for is validation. Maybe some consolation.

So without further ado...

My front coat closet:

It is supposed to hold coats and maybe gloves. What it really homes is coats, shoes, our flag, my husband's linguistic books and papers that may or may not be important now but were at one time, racket ball equipment, an extra backpack or two, some weekly readers and dirt...quite a bit of it.

If you come to my house on a cold night, I probably won't offer to take your coat because if I do, I will have to open the closet at which point everything will come spilling out. Awkward. Yeah, just leave your coat in the car. 

My spice cabinet.

This one is really a nightmare. I made an attempt to organize it with a lazy Susan thingy. Only I went with the cheap one and the top tier is now laying on the bottom. This means if I take the nutmeg on the bottom the whole thing will be off kilter. This means either the cookie sprinkles will fall backwards and spill all over the cupboard OR the cream of tartar and Italian spices will come crashing down onto my counter.

Not only that. For your extra enjoyment you can look up and find randomness here too: Economy size stapler, vases, checkbooks, thumb tacks. I think there is even a few of those Target $1 popcorn holders.

This may be why I rarely bake. I'm just saying.

Our little car.

Ugh! That thing has so much crap in it. It is the car that Hubs and I use for work and school. It is also the car we take when we go places without the whole fam damily. So it has a little bit of everything.

Lunch bags, shin guards, mountain biking trail maps, several hundred empty water bottles, a few light jackets, a few heavy jackets, a borrowed water jug, Cd's. I can honestly tell you right now that I have about 60 cans of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken in the back....for the past 3 weeks. They were on sale...really good sale...but haven't organized the Harry Potter room where they belong. Shocker, huh.

Harry Potter Room

It's the catch all with a door. Blankets, frames, pull-up bar, toilet paper, diapers, wipes, treasure box. It all in there.

Do you think if I cleaned it out, put a bed and one of my naughty kids in there and locked it, someone could report me? Not if I didn't blog about it.  Of course I would never do that. Like I was saying, definitely don't look in there. Just ignore the loud kicking and screaming. Old pipes.

Oh, dear blogging friends. Please tell me I am not alone in my clutter. Please don't hate me because I am messy. It is my messy-ness that makes me so much fun. Who wants to organize and un-clutter when there are games to be played, people to visit, posts to be blogged?

Not it!!

What's in your closet??


BTW, I'm cleaning out the candy on my other blog. Gulp. It's gonna be a tough week.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweetie I think those places come with motherhood. I have 3 closets like that and let's not even look in my entertainment center

Kelley said...

Hello Stef,

I've been following your blog for a couple of months and I love it!

I just so happen to be reading The Joy of Less by Francine Joy. Don't panic! It is actually a very useful book. Not preachy. I'm already using several of her suggestions.

Diane said...

Trust me when I tell you, you are NOT alone!

Jenny said...

Of course I don't have any of 'those' places. Gee whiz. My house is impeccably clean and organized in all areas and...

Darn. I gotta go. I think my nose is growing.

Cute post!

Kerri said...

I have a junk drawer in the kitchen...does that count?!
You have 5 kids and work...of course you are bound to have some clutter...no biggie!

Kyla said...

The first place I thought of was my laundry room, it's nice and big so all the toys are in there. But as I read yours I also have a bad coat closet and spice shelf!

Susan Anderson said...

I've got the flag in MY coat closet, too!

=D

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

you don't want to open my drawers at my desk....beware....

Juli said...

My car is also one of those places... mainly because I spend more time in my car than any where else. I finally emptied it out today, 5 jackets (for 3 people) drywall pieces from the bathroom reno, mutitude of grocery bags, broken sunglasses of all sizes, Diary of a Whimpy Kid, and some jelly beans. I am pleading the fifth on what holiday the jelly beans are from. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh, my ENTIRE apartment is a "Ugh! Why me?!?". It's just so cluttered and insanely messy! No matter how much I clean and reorganize, it just keeps getting worse and worse. My only solution now is to move to a new place. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

By the way, you have a Harry Potter room? How cool is that? Does maybe you can have him cast a spell that'll clean up the clutter :)

Morgan said...

The drawers in my island are bad....as are the cupboards there :o/