I try not to interpret for Hubs.
Oh, there are times when I do and don't mind it. Church. Family reunions. Social outings. The vasectomy. But other than that, I don't.
"Why?" you may ask.
You see, I do not have a large vocabulary. I am a pretty simple person. Don't misinterpret me as saying I am simple minded. I don't believe I am. I have a bachelor's degree and have been exposed to a variety of subjects so ignorant I am not. I understand. I just speak simply.
Hubs, however, likes to use big words. He knows them and wants to use them. And does. I know this because he sends me messages. I know this because I have read the papers that he writes for his master's program. Trust me, I know.
See where I am going with this?
One thing you need to know about ASL is that one sign can can be translated into many different english words. For example:
Sign: eye doctor; Translation: eye doctor or optometrist.
Sign: short Translation: short, brief, momentarily
Sign: rich; Translation: rich, wealthy, loaded
Sign: make; Translation: make, create, generate
Our choice of words is called our register. My register is lower than Hubs'. Often when I translate for him, I struggle to raise my register to sound more like his.
Case in point. About a year ago, Hubs and I had the opportunity to go to our state senator's office to voice some concerns related to my work. When we got there, my supervisor asked me to voice for Hubs.
"Ugh!!!!" I thought to myself out loud.
Yes, I probably understand what Hubs was saying better than my supervisor because, hello! I live with him. That being said, I struggled to say what he was saying, the way that he would say it if he could speak for himself.
To say it was frustrating would be an understatement.
So unless it is a minor operation that is NOTHING like bearing children....then I don't interpret.
Period.
12 comments:
Huh. I never thought of that.
Almost Hubs could never interpet for me. First, he'd actally have to LISTEN to what I was saying (which he does for the most part unless of course there's some/any sporting event on, then Nothing!) and second, he'd have to get me. Which he doesn't a lot of the time.
Then there's the whole "I don't trust him enough to not make a joke about it and make me look like a total goof ball" thing. Yeah.
Interpreting for me, No.
When I would translate for my friend, Roy, it would be the same thing...with my limited vocabulary I felt, well, rather stupid. He, on the other hand appreciated the fact that I could/would translate because there was nobody else.
I guess it's all about perspective.
I never thought about this. What a challenge.
Good rule...for sure!
I've enjoyed catching up here....and funny thing is I've just realized I haven't been in Target in several weeks either. Hmmmm...and I love Target.
Very interesting Stef. I never thought about it like that before...words being interpreted differently. If I was betting, I would bet your hubs wasn't born deaf. Just curious!
Sounds reasonable to me!
=)
omg that is sooo my hubs. i can feel your pain. lily seems to be taking after her father...the other day she in her crazy 2 yr old self said "Mommy I need paper...I need to construct a magnificent masterpiece" ummm i would have said 'yo i need paper to draw stick figures'
Fascinating. Seriously. I so love a new perspective. :)
Visiting from teachinfourth's magic bus. . .
This was super interesting. I never even thought about a translator having to translate more than just basic words but you are so right. It would be very hard to be acurate.
Wow!
Love the title of your blog! ;)
I have always been intrigued by sign language. When I was in college, quite a few of my classes had a sign language interpreter up front. Sometimes I found it hard to focus on the instructor instead of the interpreter. They were always so much more entertaining. :)
My husband uses big words, and he's concise, too, so when I try to repeat what he's said to someone else I fumble it horribly. I never knew about the ASL translation and how there are so many words. What a challenge!
I took one ASL class and used it when I taught special ed seminary some. Then one day, the regular interpreter wasn't there for a Deaf girl in another class, so guess who they asked to interpret. I felt so dumb using my limited vocabulary trying to get all the nuances of the elaborate stories and hilarious stuff the teacher was saying. I imagine it's even harder in reverse.
Post a Comment