Wednesday, August 31, 2011

So I Married a Deaf Man: It's in my blood

I knew I wanted to sign at an early age.

I distinctly remember going on a trip to Utah when I was about 8 years old. We stopped at a McDonalds in Price. My sister and I decided that I was going to be deaf and she was going to be my interpreter. We pretended and we were sure people believed us.

That is where it all started for me.

 My sophmore year, my sisters and I went to the doctor's for an annual sports physical. And there, in the waiting room, was a girl, signing for her for real deaf sister. I was facinated. She, the deaf girl, was in my grade and in my classes and on my volleyball team.

We became great friends.  That is where it all started for me.

I went to college and took about 4 semesters of ASL. I loved this language. I didn't have a whole lot of people to sign to. Okay, just the one. But I knew that signing was going to be in my life.

I then decided to go on a mission for my church. Here's how that works. You fill out papers, you send them in to the mission department, and they decide where you are going to go. While filling out the papers, I put in there several times that I knew ASL, that I would really like to go on a siging mission. Oh, and did I mention I loved ASL.

I was called on a siging mission. That is where it all started for me.

I was immersed in the language. I was immersed in the culture. I learned about the people. I fell in love with the Deaf community. I worked with them. Taught them. Served them. Loved them. Every day for 18 months. Six of those months I had a Deaf companion who taught me so much. A forshadowing of things to come. It was there that I met Elder Hubs. We served in the same area for 4 months, doing the Lord's work.

We were only friends. But that is where it all started me.

I finished my mission, experienced a little heartbreak, a little hard work, a little me...I was thin back then. And cute. Kept up the ASL classes and attended church where everything was communicated in ASL. It was great. Then Hubs moved to Utah.

That's where it all started for me.

We met up again on Mother's Day, went on our first kinda-date the next day. Two weeks later we were engaged. 2 months later we were married. 13 years later he is still my biggest fan. No, wait. I am still his biggest fan. Whatever...we fan each other.

My life is full of signing. I do it for work. I do it for pleasure. I even do it in my sleep. Signing is such a huge part of who I am . What I love. How I live.

Where did it all start for me?

I was born to sign.

7 comments:

Tes said...

Aww.. love your story. This blog is a beautiful gift to your kids. They would have a blast reading your posts. :) I am enjoying your posts :)

Unknown said...

Aww, this is such a cute story :) You were totally born to sign and it was totally fate that you and hubs met, fell in love and have this wonderful family :)

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Great post!! I can echo a few of those sentiments--born to sign, knew I would do it the minute I started taking it in college, filled out my mission papers and prayed with gusto for an ASL call. Got it. Most relieved I've ever been in my life. Total immersion, hardest best experience of my life. Hearing hubs, but ASL and Deafies are just a part of my soul now. I hear you!

Susan Anderson said...

Thanks for the interesting post.

My DIL is a signer, too, but hers began because her parents were called on a mission to the deaf ward in their area. She attended with them and became so fluent that before long she was translating stake conference. From there, she got a job signing for the school district.

After three kids and not much exposure, she claims she's a little rusty, but you wouldn't know it to watch her.

I love signing because it's beautiful. She loves it because she loves the deaf community and culture.

=)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

awwww i am so glad you shared your story! i'm all mushy inside now..

Teachinfourth said...

What an awesome way to begin...I used to pretend that I was deaf, too. Of course, I'm not fluent though.

Melanie said...

That is an awesome story. Awesome!