Friday, August 19, 2011

Just stuff

Okay, do you remember when I told you I couldn't wait for school so that things could slow down a bit.

I think I was delirious when I said that. Things are anything but slowed down over here. Yes, I know it is the first week of school and things will calm down as the weeks go by. But this one has been a doozy!

Four of my children are in school this year. This will be our first year with them attending two different schools: elementary and middle school. This means two different drop off and pick up times. A new challenge for us. Plus school starts a little earlier and gets out an hour earlier...something I will love....eventually.

Middle school is kicking our butts. My son, sweet boy that he is, has cried every day this week. Yesterday I went to pick him up and I am not kidding...he had three text books, two binders and three notebooks. Not to mention 2 locks and all the other crap that goes into a locker. His bag was literally ripping at the seams.

I saw him moping up the street and it made me want to cry. He drops into the car, declaring, "I can't go back to that place. Please don't make me. Please, Mom. I hate that place." Poor kid. He can't stand being late and so in order to avoid being late he will not go to his locker. At all.

I tried talking him through it. In the end, I ended up going with him to his locker this morning and told I would do so every morning until he felt comfortable. Middle school is so hard. I'm not sure we will survive the month if today goes bad. Sigh....

To top it off I agreed to coach Brody's soccer teams and got suckered into coaching Camden's too. If I hadn't, neither of my boys would have been able to play soccer this year. So this last week has been filled with coaching meetings, calling parents, team meetings, setting up blogs. A lot more work than I had time for...but it's for my kids. How can I say no?

Oh, yeah. And flag football practice has started. That's 2 hours on Tues and Thurs. But this, to me, is a blessing. You see, I have to leave for work before these practices are over. So Hubs takes all the kids and I have 2 hours to myself 2 days a week. It is going to be my saving grace.

He's a good man, that Hubs.

One week down....only 40 weeks left.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so lucky that you can go into school with him to help him get started.

Susan Anderson said...

Middle school can be a hard transition, but I'll bet he's a lot more comfortable within the next week or so.

I'll keep him in my prayers.

=)

PS. Can't believe you're doing all that coaching! That is craziness. By the way, at one point my kids were in three schools...and it was nutso. We did survive, thankfully. But it was a close thing...

Diane said...

You are scaring me! My oldest starts middle school next week (Thursday) and this will be our first year at two different schools too although I only have the two kids!

Five kids, you work outside the home and you're coaching two soccer teams?! You are wonder woman and I am in awe!

Kyla said...

My oldest is starting High School this year so we'll have three different schools. Scary. And he never used his locker in middle school, his backpack was his locker and it was HEAVY. Poor kids. He had a good experience in middle school overall.

Juli said...

We still have two weeks left of summer here.

I am dreading the school year "shuffle".

I just don't know how I'm gonna make it work this year.

*sigh*

Kinder said...

I'm sorry to hear that this transition is so tough for your boy. There is nothing worse for a mama than seeing their kidlet with a hurting heart. Hope things become easier for him and that you all settle into your new routine!

CB said...

Oh your poor guy - Middle school is so different from Elementary and it really is scary and alot to remember and definately alot to carry!! I hope it gets better quickly for him!

You are going to be one busy Mama!!

Cyndy Bush said...

Wow, you are going to be one busy mama!
I've heard horror stories about middle school. It was hard on my niece. So far I've had two kids go through middle school and they did fine. BUT...I have two more to go.
I hope it all goes well!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Wow... and that's about all I can say. Middle school? We call it junior high here in Canada. I'm so thankful our Middlest will just mosy upstairs to the junior high wing. I'll be thinking of your boy over the next week. Sending him survival thoughts and lots of prayers.
Dana

Gabe said...

Oh Stef. . .middle school will get easier, but my oldest carried his locker around on his back all through middle school, too. It just was easier for him and less stressful. It sounds so like my Drew, he is such a rule follower and was so afraid of rocking the boat. It will get better, I promise.

Kerri said...

I don't know how you do it all?! Wow! You must be pretty organaized! Yay for your free 2 hours...you are going to need them!

Hope things get better for you son...it makes me sad to hear middle school stories.

The Crazy Coxes said...

I'm sorry to hear about the middle school blues! He'll get the schedule down and feel more confident with practice!

I thought things would slow down here as well. I guess not.

Jenny said...

It'll be better in a few weeks. I hope!

Just keep remembering to exhale.

Sending a big hug your way.

Jenny said...

PS. Are you officially wonder woman...or just filling in for vacations, etc.? You are a force to be reckoned with!