Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What is that smell?

I smell.

No, I don't mean that I stink...although you would have disagreed with me if you stood next to me in the grocery line this morning after my rigorous Zumba workout. Yeah, I did smell.

What I mean is that I have a sensitive nose. If there is a good smell or a bad smell...it will be smelled. I love to smell my hair when I am bored; my hands when they are lotioned, my clothes when they are clean. I dread walking into my house and smelling my unpotty trained child's diaper that wasn't taken all the way outside, the burnt toast from this morning and the overall Rufus smell that constantly fills the air.  

But if you think my nose is bad, my son's is worse. He really smells.

He has always had a sensitive nose. This kid would never wash his pillowcase if he has his way because then it doesn't smell like...well...his night head sweat.

I knew he was going to be a sniffer at a very young age. Two to be exact.

He wouldn't shake hands with people when he was little because he didn't want to smell like them. If friends put one of his toys in their mouth he wouldn't play with it again. Ever. I remember cuddling him close to me and giving him a kiss on the cheek. He wiped it off with his hand, then lifted that hand to his nose and took a long whiff.

Yup. Natural born sniffer.

I am not quite sure how the two of us are going to survive these stinky, p-u-berty years....

Any suggestions??



Linking up with Jen Matlock's ABC Thursdays.

By the way, tomorrow is my recipe group here. We are making foods made with Citrus...lemons, limes, oranges. If you have any you want to share, LMK and I can linky it up on Friday.

15 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

Ha! I am a smeller too, especially my hands. I can't stand for my hands to smell like anything but soap or lotion. I smell my clothes, too. Crazy!

Unknown said...

I've got the sensitive nose too! As much as I love being able to smell all sorts of things that others can barely detect, there are also a lot of smells that I regret being able to smell. E's poo diapers being one of them :)

Diane said...

Wrong one to ask! I and both my boys are big time sniffers! :D

Ingrid said...

Nose plugs !

Susan Anderson said...

My sense of smell is similar to yours. Ridiculous, as my kids will testify.

The teenage years were hard...especially the gym socks. But they all knew they couldn't put much past me when it came to drinking or smoking things they shouldn't!

;)

Kerri said...

Oh, I feel for you! My sense of smell was greater when I was pregnant...glad it didn't stay that way! Good one- p-u-berty! I liked that one!

CB said...

I thought I had a sensitive nose until I read this post.
I hate yucky smells. I have Scentsy warmers all over my house and I burn fresh wax all the time so that my house smells like "Skinny Dippin'" - Yep that is my favorite summer smell right now and it is WAY better that P-U-berty!! (BTW that was very creative of you!!)

jen said...

I lost my sense of smell for about a year when I was a kid, and I distinctly remember the second it came back. I was riding my bike past a carrot field that had gone to seed, and it reeked. And I've never been happier to smell stinky than at that moment.
Don't know what to tell you, but it's better than the alternative.

Judie said...

I am very sensitive to smells, but my husband is not. Our middle daughter has no sense of smell. My mother-in-law had no sense of smell either. My oldest son's gym shoes could clear out a room when he took them off in the afternoon after school. He never seemed to notice that people were fainting around him!

Juli said...

I think I'm the only one with a sense of smell in my house.

I'm always saying "can't you smell that?"

Always to be replied to with a "nope."

I think it's because they don't want to clean out the veggie drawer, but whatever.

storybeader said...

I think my DH is the smeller in the family. I'm the listener. I can hear sounds in the other rooms, so watch out! {:-Deb

KM said...

I can totally relate! HYPERsensitive to smell! In fact, I almost died on a bus today from some HORRIBLE air freshener!
Visiting from Alphabe-Thursday!

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

I think I have a normal sense of smell Im glad I am not overly senstive

Eliza Wynn said...

I'm very sensitive to smells. Even (for example) unscented lotions have a distinctive smell, but at least it's not bad. Most scented products give me a massive headache.

Jenny said...

Oh, the curse of a sensitive nose! I'm thinking maybe clothespins...and I can tell you honestly I did try one, once, but it didn't quite work!

Neat post!

I love your funny subjects!

Thanks for sharing.

A+