Monday, August 15, 2011

Raw hide!

You wouldn't catch me dead on a roof. They are steep, they are slippery and they are dangerous. People die falling off those things.

Uhuh, no way you would catch me dead up there. Sunbathing, yes. Dead, no.

Sunbathing? A mother of five children? What are you thinking????

Not now, sillies. This happened back when I was a freshman in college. You know, back when I cared if I was tan or not. When I cared if I had tan lines. Back when I actually looked forward to getting into a swimsuit. Back when I was childless, single, and stupid.

You see, I have always been white. Like really white. As in I have to burn 5 times before I match the Peach Crayola crayon. Yeah, white.

I went to college in a small town, Easter Arizona College in Thatcher AZ. A very small school full of fun people. I loved it.

My first year I lived in a small, rundown, on it's last leg house with 8 other girls. It was known as the Passion Palace. Yes, I know. It sounds really bad. But it was a lot of fun.

A lot of memories made in that house. (I think one of my roommates made a baby there, but let's not get into that now.)

One of them was attempting to make ourselves more tan. We would climb the tree, with towel, water, and readings in hand and make our way to the top of the house. We would set up shop and waste away the afternoon on the top of our world.

We could see everything from there. The school. The small convenient store. The people. The cars. But mostly the sun. I think we may have even put Crisco on our legs. Lovely.

I was tanner than I have ever been.

Never mind that I may have given myself skin cancer. Never mind that the cars and people passing by got a peep show. Never mind that I could have rolled off the roof and impaled myself with a tree branch.

Then I would have been caught dead on my way off a roof.

But at least I was tan...ish.

What interesting thing have you done a roof?

11 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Same as you! When I was at the University of Utah, we used to sunbathe on the roof of our dorm. We actually thought that once it hit the high 60s it was sunbathing weather!

Having said that, and being a California girl, those Utah years were the least tan I ever was.

=)

Juli said...

When I was younger I would stargaze off of the porch roof out of my brother's bedroom window.

Now a days, if you find me on the roof I am either...

A.) Fixing something

B.) Rigging up the Christmas Lights

C.) Hiding from my children.


(They found my last hiding place in the bathroom)

CB said...

I also did this in college. But I am not brave to get up on the roof of a house - even if it is the "Passion Palace" Ha Ha I love that! but I digress...Me and my friends went to BYU in Provo and hoping to eek out a smallish tan in the month of April - If it was a sunny day and was at least 50 degrees (yes we were desparate California girls missing our sunshine) we would go to the top of one of the tall buildings on campus and sunbathe on that roof - it was flat.
The crazy things you do in college eh?

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

snuck out...got caught...hate roofs..nuff said! haha

Unknown said...

Never been on a roof. It's a fear of height and/or falling thing I have.

martha brown said...

My mom loves to tell the story about how, when I was 2 she left me in the care of my father ( and grandfather) at the cottage. they were fixing the roof and apparently I climbed the ladder too and was sitting up there on the roof when my mom came home. a few years later I jumped off of our home roof ( one storey) with an umbrella -- trying to be like Mary Poppins. I had lots of great ideas like that :) ummm,, I didn't float like M P , but I still love the roof. I like to be king of the castle.

Tiffany said...

I'm too scared--guess you could call me boring, but I've never been on a roof. Never really cared until reading this post, now I feel as though perhaps I'm missing out on something!

Debbie said...

The ONLY time I've been on a roof was when we were re-roofing about 5 years ago. The men in the ward were supposed to pitch in, and some did but not enough. I finally took pity on my husband and inched my way out onto it and put in a few nails.

I will say I'm scared of heights and even more scared of falling off them, but I managed to do this. It was the first and probably the last time I've been on a roof!

K said...

I've never been brave enough to climb up on a roof. I've climbed up to clean out gutters, but that height and slope scare me silly :) You are brave!

jordan and tyrell said...

when i was in high school we climbed onto the roof of the auditorium and watched movies. we (and by we, i mean the boys we were with) hauled a tv up there, and they had to all but haul the girls up as well. now that i think about it, we climbed on to the roof of most buildings in town, the post office, the light tower (does that count as a roof?) the high school, the buildings at the fairgrounds. oh the joys of living in a small town :)

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

The last time I was on a roof I fell off it Ireally want to say my sister pushed me but that may not have been the case I was like 7 I fell onto our gravel driveway I didn't break anything but I got a lot of gravel in my hands and knees