Discretion: the good judgment and sensitivity needed to avoid embarrassing or upsetting others
This is something we try to teach my children.
"We don't toot at the table."
"Goosing your uncle's rear end, not acceptable."
"I don't care if you can see your classmate's crack. You shouldn't yell it to her from across the room."
I got a letter last week explaining that my 5th grader would be watching the movie. You know the one. "Your body is changing and let's talk about it...in front of all your friends and peers. Oh yeah, and here is a little package of goodies to go along with it. Please silence your cell phones now." Yes, that's the one. Wednesday night was parent preview night. You bet I signed up. Best sequel evah!
Now, you should understand that we are pretty straight forward with our kids about their anatomy, their sexuality and making appropriate choices. We use the real words. We aren't embarrassed and we tell them that they shouldn't be either.
So when my eldest came home from school Wednesday and declared, "Tonight is puberty night!!!" I busted up laughing. I think if he really understood what he was proclaiming to his family...I mean really understood, he would have been mortified.
Discretion.
We're working on it.
Brought to you by Jen Matlock's letter D.
16 comments:
OH how funny! Kinda makes me miss the teenager years....kinda:)
Enjoy them all you can, they too will someday be telling stories...
What a great fun post! It is a word that should be understood though & often, sadly, isn't!
what a fun read. kids can be so funny sometimes. and they have the ability to say the darnest things unexpectingly.
have a great day.
Puberty night, huh?
;)
PS. Sometimes I really miss those days of having growing kids at home...
Yeah, we're definitely lacking our share of that over here too! My 6th grader took puberty class this year and now he thinks he knows EVERYTHING there is to know about life!
Too funny! My 5th grade daughter watched "the movie" last week. She wasn't thrilled when she came home!
Hilarious! My kids are thankfully still a few years away from this :)
Stopping by from Alphabe-Thursday.
I have 2 teens at home, and I am very proud of them.^^
Great ‘D’ post! Happy Alphabe-Thursday!
Have a great weekend ahead & look forward to *seeing* you again next time,
LOLA:)
LOL! What a great D post ...
My son still thinks it's gross. He'll be in fifth grade next year, needless to say he's not thrilled about THE movie. Course, he only half listens anyway, so I'm sure I'll be filling in the blanks for him at some point. :)
Yeah. Discretion, not a strong point here either.
Oh yes a tricky balance between not being embarrassed about your body and learning how to not embarrass others - a task we are yet to face!
When my oldest son was in junior high, a girl asked him to a dance. His friends freaked out because the girl had a bad reputation. They came to tell me about her, and said it was time for "the talk." They said they were trying to protect my son, their friend.
"Well, are you going to do it?" his best friend asked me.
"Yes, I will do it," I promised.
Well, when you do, can we listen??"
Kids are such a riot. My guys are always making me laugh right out loud with the things they say.
I hope puberty night was fun. *giggle*
~Catherine
heehee
Puberty night...
=D
Brilliant! Bravo!
I loved this little gem of a story and you captured 'the talk' so well!
I'm sorry you lost your earlier comments, but it's nice to be working again on blogger!
Thanks for a delightful link!
A+
Post a Comment