Did your mom ever teach you that it is rude to tell secrets in front of people?
I try and tell my children this all the time. If it is that private, then you should be able to wait until we are in a non-public place to tell me. Unless the secret is that your brother is about to die, or you are going to wet your pants if you don't find a bathroom, then it can wait.
It is pretty impossible for Hubs to tell a secret in a public place. Let me clarify. It isn't hard for Hubs to tell a secret in public, unless it is a place with lots of signers. In that case, it is near impossible. You see, there really is no whispering in ASL. You're either signing or you're not. Granted, you can sign really close to your body and turn to the side. That is like whispering...but not really. Because if someone sees it, they hear it at full volume.
Like the time we were driving with my oldest, who at the time was maybe 2 years old. Hubs and I were secretly signing about whether to stop for ice cream or not. We decided against it. When we pulled into the garage, Kobe says, "Ice cream?" See, no secrets.
This also makes eaves dropping so easy in the Deaf community. You can look around a room, at the different conversations and understand what every group is talking about. It could be sports in one corner, clothes in the next, you in another. All there for the choosing.
It is because of this ease of eaves that Hubs doesn't always remember that I can't always hear what other people are saying in group settings.
Like a restaurant. He and I will be sitting and chatting, and he will look over at the people at the next table and ask me what they are talking about. Sometimes I can hear bits and pieces, but most the time I can't hear a word. Just because they are talking, doesn't mean that I can hear them.
Because hearing people can whisper.
11 comments:
Oh I would love to be in on all those conversations. I'ma bona fide people watcher... could do it for hours... but to be in on the conversations too? Bliss. Unless of course they are talking about me.
As for the dancing? I did this my sisters too. The girls has an incredible work out this afternoon. Couldn't help but share it.
Love you blog... always.
Dana
Not being a totally fluent signer, I am one of those 'bits and pieces' type of people. It's not that I am trying to listen in on others' conversations, but it is just so much fun that I really just find myself doing it.
Another thing about signing I never even thought about. You are giving me such an education on the deaf/signing community!
haha tell him i'm always wanting to know what their talking about too at the tables next to us. i usually make up my own story and tell hubs my version :o)
he's usually not amused!
I think knowing what everyone is saying would drive me nuts. Guess that's why when I'm in a crowd of people I don't hear one single person. It all just sounds like white noise to me. Plus I get lost in my own thoughts most of the time.
Wouldn't that be odd to be able to "see" what everyone was saying?
I love getting in on these tidbits of differences in the hearing and deaf cultures. Thanks for always sharing them...and in such an entertaining way, too.
=)
I am such a bad eavesdropper! I catch my kids doing it too!
And btw my feelings get hurt all the time! Especially my oldest daughter she can wound me easily!
I'm on the fence here weather I'd like this or not...
I love to people watch, but I like to make up my own stories.
If I knew that their lives weren't that funny, it'd be boring.
I think the other moms on the playground are sharing info I would love to hear.
And this is exactly how I knew a couple in our church was getting married. Years ago, a single mom was dating a fairly new member of our church. Her youngest child was deaf and they chose a Sunday morning to tell her about the upcoming wedding. Their exchange was much more interesting than what was going on at the pulpit! And I knew just enough sign to be eavesdropping!
Hee. I never knew that your hubs can be so nosy :) I wonder how many private conversations he's seen in his time :)
Does he read lips? Because if he did, man, that can open quite a can of worms.
Post a Comment