Why is it that we, as mothers, blame ourselves for everything? Don't we already get blamed for enough?
My 4th child, Camden, has always been small. When I was pregnant with him, my doctor was constantly keeping an eye on him. I had to get stress tests twice a week for the last 3 months of my pregnancy with him. It was glorious. When he was born, at full term, he only weighed 5lbs and some ounces. (Don't judge.) He was healthy.
Since then, his growth has be slow at best, non-existant at times. Last year he went almost 9 months without growing. At. All.
For about 2 years now, we have been testing, watching him closely. He has delayed bone age, meaning at four years old, his bones in his hands were the size of a two year old's. He is very small. When people see him, they think he is 2 years old and say, "Wow! He talks great!" Ummm, yes he does. That's because he is five years old.
He has been tested for siliac, thyroid issues, growth hormone deficiency, heart murmurs. He has seen a pediatrician, endocronologist, cardiologist, nurtritionist, radiologist, and a guy with a really fun monkey outfit. He has been poked, proded, stuck to, drugged, and has a whole
We found out that he has a growth factor deficiency. Meaning, according to Stef's interpretation, his body makes growth hormone, but is unable to absorb it. If he continues to grow at the rate he is growing, he will only be 5'2". Not that there is anything wrong with it, but as a boy, that would be hard.
We have been diligently boosting
In his January appointment, he had gained two pounds and grown one whole inch. This was good news, seeing that he hadn't gained any weight or grown any significant amount in 9 months. We were so excited because we were at the point of doing some re-testing and supplimenting. The doctor decided to wait.
Then yesterday at his appointment we found that he has lost weight and has only grown less than 1/4 inch. In three months. Big sigh.........
I can't help asking, "Am I not feeding this boy enough? Should I be giving him something that I am not? What am I doing wrong? I'm his mother. And a mom is supposed to make things all better. Why can't I?" Logically, I know that I can't force his little body to absorb a single calorie. I can't wish five pound and two inches onto his tiny frame. And I feed him right along side my other children and they aren't having the same issue. And yet I frett, and blame, and mull and feel guilty.
Eventually we will figure it out. Eventually. But if we wait too long we will ruin the rest of his life. He will be in a carseat until he is 11. No girl will want to go out with him because despite his rugged good looks, he only comes up to their shoulders. You see the problem?
Mommy guilt. Leave me alone, already!!!
9 comments:
We have close friends who went through the same thing. He is fifteen now, and is small. But his amazingly big personality makes him a favourite with everyone, even the girls : )
Dana
I'm sorry! That sounds very frustrating. Tiny Baby has always been the smallest in his grade....and it doesn't help that he is year younger too. But the chicks dig him, so THAT's something!
My sister's youngest son was so short that he looked like he was much younger than the other kids in his class. And he was very slight, too. His bone age was way younger than his actual age.
The doctor offered injections of HGH, but my sister wasn't comfortable artificially hurrying his development.
By the time he got his driver's license, he looked about 11, yet he was popular and had developed quite the personality, too.
At any rate, the good news is that between his junior and senior years in high school he actually got whiskers and grew! I don't think he'll ever be more than the 5'4" he is now, but when he was young we wouldn't have believed it.
He also has a darling girlfriend, which makes him very happy.
;)
Gotta hate that mommy guilt! Its the worst!
Try to let it go and leave it in Gods hands!
Happy Mothers Day!
I have the same problem with Youngest. Had his Ceilac not been caught (by me, not the doctors) Lord knows how under nourished he would be. When we stopped the Gluten, he grew 2 inches in 3 months. TWO INCHES, THREE MONTHS.
I'm glad you have found what seems to be the root of the issue for your boy. I will however, offer you one more suggestion... even though he tested negative for Celiac, try the diet.
Youngest tested negative. So did I. You have to have signifigant internal damage to register on a blood test. Most kids don't have that. And the glutens in his body could be acting as growth hormone blockers. Remove the gluten, you may be able to allow the hormone to work normally.
You never know, and it could only take three months to figure out if it could work. If you're interested, or have a question, email me at jmlcoppola@comcast.net.
And that is my last piece of totally unsolicited advice for the day. I got nothing left for any one else, so feel special. :)
Enjoy your Mother's Day! -J
I blame myself for every single thing my boys have suffered. From their difficult gestation, their preemie delivery, their asthma, their autism.. all of it. But, in spite of all the things I worry about, heap guilt upon myself about.. they are two of the happiest kids I have ever seen. Happy Mother's Day. (Your boy is perfect - there isn't another one like him in the world!)
Stef. Sweet girl. Exhale. Now exhale again.
Some things are NOT our fault and WE CANNOT FIX THEM!
You are a wonderful Mom. If there was anything to do, I know you would do it.
Sneak some heavy cream in a little at a time when you can into his food and just enjoy the ride.
Worry doesn't change what is. It just robs us of the ability to see joy!
Hugs and Happy Mothers Day.
I am sorry you are suffering guilt over what has to be a worrisome and frustrating situation. But seriously--you do know it isn't your fault, right? All I could think about while reading your post is what a great mother you are to be so diligent in taking him to the doctors, monitoring his eating and worrying over him so much!! What a blessing you are to his life.
That mommy guilt is no good...just throw it out the window right now!
I think you're an amazing mom...sounds like you have done the research and doing what you can. I agree with Gabe...it's in God's hands. Big hugs my friend!
Post a Comment