Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yogurt and Sprite

I remember the day like it was yesterday.

My family, which included both my parents and all 8 children, were loaded in the big blue van that had one of the windows taped on with black duct tape..(a post for another time). We were all dressed nice as we were going to the end of the year awards banquet for my older sisters.

We pull into the parking lot of the high school and that is when it hit. I started to feel sick and I must have turned pale because my mom said that she would take me home.

Now, in my house, when you were sick there were two things that Mom would give you to make you feel better: yogurt and Sprite. It didn't matter what you were sick with, it was yogurt and Sprite. When mom was little, Grandma would give a hot tottie. All we got was yogurt and Sprite.

So on our way home, we stopped at the only grocery store in town. I am not sure why I went inside, but I did. We walked to the where the yogurt was (at the back of the store, of course) and that was when my mouth started to water. You know what I am talking about. Salty, slimy, maybe-if-I-swallow-enough-it-will-go-away feeling.  I knew it was coming and there was nothing I could do about it.

I turned to go outside. It was hopeless. As I rushed down the pasta isle, it all came out. ALL of it. All over...It was ugly. I felt bad for the poor lady who didn't realize what had just happend and walked right through the middle of it.


"Clean up on isle 10!"

But it doesn't stop there.

I looked up at my mom, who was trying to get someone to help with the mess. I was mortified. So I backed up and tried to escape down the next isle when my stomach decided it needed another cleansing.

"Clean up on isle 10 and 11!!"

Luckily that was it. I hid my face and practically sprinted out the door. I laid down in the van and wanted to die. It's one thing to have it happen when you are a kid. But when you are in junior high school... Ugh!!

But on the bright side, I got yogurt and Sprite.

...and out of the banquet.

Do you remember getting sick in an inconvenient place?

Also posted on Mama's Losin' It for Writer's Workshop. Check it out!

19 comments:

If SHE can figure it out.......... said...

OMG - I HATE throwing up and I can't even imagine doing it in public - you poor thing! At least no one from school was around to see you - I always felt bad for those kids who puked during school and the janitor had to come in with the pink sawdust to clean it up....

Unknown said...

That must have been mortifying! Wow, you must have felt really bad to have thrown up twice in one place. At least you mom was there to take care of you!

Yogurt and Sprite...interesting combination. I do know that Sprite is good for keeping you hydrated :)

Oh, I gave you a blog award on my blog but I see you've already received it since I see the banner on the side :) I just wanted to say thanks for the humor and the great writing :) (and sorry for not commenting all the time...)

Anonymous said...

Yogurt and Sprite. That's a new one to me. I was always told Coke (flat) was supposed to settle your stomach but I guess maybe it's the same type of thing. You poor thing. Ia've always hated throwing up too. At least you got out of the banquet!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

That's the worst! I felt bad for you just reading that. When I was pregnant, I had to keep a bag with me because I never knew when it would hit. Getting sick while behind the wheel & trying to pull over to the shoulder - that was pretty inconvenient.

*Thanks for your puppy insight too. Gives me hope that he will calm down eventually. :)

Dawna said...

I remember getting sick on a whale watch in Junior High. I saw someone else get sick and then he asked me to help him clean up. well, I lost it. Then the person next to me got sick. It had a domino affect that lasted the rest of the trip back from the Whale Watch (a three hour tour...) and it was raining and all of the passengers were stuck inside a tiny cabin, that was way too hot and smelled like barf and burnt popcorn. I have yet to go on another whale watch.

Tina L. Hook said...

I have more of these stories than I would like to admit to. That does sound mortifying. I wonder why Sprite and Yogurt?

Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

Tina L. Hook said...

PS Stopping by from Mama Kat's

Victoria Blanchard said...

(BTW, I'm Sacha's friend who helped in nursery when I was visiting one week). When I was 10 I choked on a piece of candy and threw up in the mall and someone stepped in it, too. So gross!

The Crazy Coxes said...

That is horrible! You POOR thing. And what was your mother thinking? Yogurt? Ewwww...dairy when you sick sounds terrible. Love your post!

Jenners said...

Oh how awful ... at least you didn't foul up aisles 9, 14, 16, 3, 2 and 1 as well!! Nothing like getting sick anywhere that isn't your home!!! But I must confess I thought of mixing Sprite and yogurt together and felt a little sick myself.

Thanks for the visit earlier!

Natalie said...

Ugh! I feel for you, I do! This is one of my biggest all time fears - that I'd get sick in public. Good to know that Sprite and yogurt do NOT mix well!

liz said...

That is AWFUL! I'm reading with my mouth agape. You poor thing! I'm sure you were mortified! Did kids at school hear about it?

stephanie said...

oh my goodness! that would be embarassing if it happened now. but in junior high!!! that is practically life ending. wow.

One Photo said...

Having witnessed the impact of stomach flu on my three year old I don't think I will ever venture anywhere with her if she ever tells me she feels sick, except for the bathroom! Oh my, what a story. You must have been mortified as I am sure was your poor Mother too!

Erin said...

YUCK! I hate barfing, and to this day I can NOT drink anything close to 7-up, Sprite, Slice, Lemon-lime anything or gingerale for that matter because that is what I associate it with! I'll try not to ruin my children that way!

Los said...

Yogurt and Sprite?!? Wow - did it work? My mom always gave me ginger ale after I barfed ... it seemed to work ... I think.

Melissa Haak said...

Oh my I still remember the horrifying experience of throwing up in the classroom, how horrible. I get the sprite, but I'm not really understanding the yogurt, especially with a sick stomach!

Amy said...

that is just awful. i remember throwing up all over the carpeted hall in 3rd grade. but in my family we got paregoric when we were sick. it burned going down and tasted a bit like licorice. oh that and ginger ale.

very well written and you made my mouth water and get warm.

KatBouska said...

Ewwww! Hahahahaa...sorry I'm totally laughing at the thought of this. Please GOD may it never happen to one of MY kids. How embarrassing!