Saturday, May 8, 2010

She's all that...

My mom is THAT kind of mom.

She always rooted for the other team. I remember catching behind the plate during softball games and hearing my mother say, "Now, just keep your eye on the ball." She was louder for our team, but she would root for the underdog. She is that kind of mom.

My mom would always be the one who would make that confrontational call. If she bought something and it broke when she got home, she would call. She wasn't afraid to stand up for what she knew was right, even when the rest of us...her children...felt a little bit uncomfortable. She is that kind of mom

My mom loved the Lord. I knew this by watching the way she lived. She prayed with us. She talked of righteous things. She had the Spirit of the Lord with her. She had  faith. She is that kind of mom.

My mom could always make something out of nothing. The McGuyver mom, if you will. WHen we went looking for a wedding dress, I found this dress that I liked. She took a picture of it. Two months later, she had made the dress. She is that kind of mom

She welcomed everyone to her house. All her children's friends, cousins, struggling college roommates, missionaries. Even a gal she met at the grocery store who that didn't have a place to stay for the night.  She is that kind of mom

She was the kind of mom who would put down a blanket when I was really young and tell me that it was my ship and for me to stay on it so the sharks wouldn't eat me. THen she left the room. I thought it was a great game. She probably needed a break. She is that kind of mom

She was the one who had her priorities right on...She always had/made time to play and be at games, plays, concerts. OUr house wasn't always clean, but we were happy. She was that kind of mom

She was the one who would take our cinnamon rolls and give them to someone else. Not to be mean...but because there were others who were struggling in one form or another and whatever my mom made could make anyone feel better. She is just that kind of mom.

She called my brother a pumkin-turd on accident (ahem) once. And she laughed. And so did we. Because life is about laughing at yourself, isn't it?  She is that kind of mom

She would let us ditch...once in a while. We knew that education was important...but so is being young. She is that kind of mom

She's the one who nailed me when I got caught ditching a party to make-out  talk with my boyfriend. The wrath of mom. But then about 30 minutes later we were laughing about the things that she did when she was younger too. Increase of love...She is that kind of mom

I remember right before I went on a mission for my church having these awful cramps...yes, the yucky kind. Nothing would make them stop. I was lying on my bed and my mother came in and she rubbed my back. I was so touched by that.  She is that kind of mom

I call her at least 4 times a week. And she always talks. She always listens. She is happy when I am happy. She is worried when I am worried. She cries for me when I hurt. She tells me to put me first because she didnt always do that. She is that kind of mom.

It's because she is all of those things, that I strive to be what she is. I love her very much and am so grateful to have been raised in a home with such a wonderful mother.

I want to be that kind of mom!

Thanks, Mom!

9 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Your mom sounds like a great lady. Good thing we have moms in the world…it would be kind of hard to be born without them.

Coffee Lovin' Mom said...

I love that it was Pumpkin Turd that came out instead of something else! Happy Mother's Day!

One Photo said...

What a wonderful, loving tribute to your Mother - you are lucky to have her as your Mom but she is equally lucky to have such a wonderful, appreciative daughter.

I hope today you are having a wonderful time celebrating Mothers Day with your own beautiful family

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman!

Thanks for sharing!!

Happy Mother's Day to you!
~H

mountain mama said...

wow...if only we all had that kind of mom! what a blessing!
happy mother's day to you both! <3

paige said...

Your mom sounds absolutely wonderful to me! I love this post. Lucky you. And she made your wedding dress? That's the most awesome thing EVER.

The Drama Mama said...

So beautiful! Your mom sounds really awesome. Thanks for sharing her with us.

Jeanette said...

What a nice tribute. She sounds amazing!

Frugal Vicki said...

Oh my gosh, this brought me to tears! What a fantastic, wonderful tribute to your mom!