For example:
Ah, bedtime...the most stressful time of the day. Not for myself...heck I shout for joy and do THE Steve Carell dance when it is MY bedtime. No, I am talking about the 8pm bedtime for my
Such a chore. There's putting on PJ's and convincing my 5 year old that the clothes he wore all day are NOT PJ's. Then there is the brushing of the teeth...
"All done."
"You were only in there for like 30 seconds. You couldn't have brushed your teeth."
"Yes. I did."
"Let me smell."
"FINE! I will brush them."
(Seriously, I am going to buy a timer and turn it on and they can't stop brushing until the timer goes off....grrr.)
Then there is the whole reading books, tucking in, giving kisses...back up for water....back up for music...back up for "I love you's" ...back up for help going potty...again. And so it goes. From start to finish it takes about 45 minutes. Very tiring.
My husband doesn't get it. He says that when he does bedtime (and I am not there) the kids go right to sleep and it isn't a problem. Really?? Are you kidding me? He assures me that once the teeth are brushed and the stories are read, the kids get right in bed and they go to sleep.
I have always felt a little bad about that. What am I doing wrong (besides giving in to their every whim)? Why can he get them down in 10 minutes when it takes me 45. Part of it has to be the man vs mom thing. But really? 10 minutes??
I recently found out why. I got off early the other day and got home at about bedtime. I snuck in (I can do this with my deaf husband) and sat down in the livingroom to listen. My husband was sitting at the computer table while what sounded like a circus was going on upstairs.
I could hear children yelling jokes back and forth, the baby was yacking up a storm, someone was singing and I think I even heard a recorder being played. It didn't sound like any bedtime I had ever heard. And yet, there my husband sat, thinking sweet dreams were being had by all. I listened to the chaos upstairs for a while and just had to laugh.
So, I pose the question: "If you put the kids to bed at night and there is no-one there to hear them, do they make a sound?"
You be the judge.
16 comments:
hmmm.... perhaps the answer is for you to put the kids to bed and then go out for coffee... if no one is there to hear them, what do you care?!
: )
thanks for the laughs!!
~H
Love it! Great post Stef!
I love this post! I'm thinking I'll invest in some earplugs then maybe bedtime will only take ten minutes around here too.
My husband has does the same thing, and he isn't even Deaf.
Thanks for coming by my blog! I love yours.
I took 2 years of ASL in HS, and I LOVE IT--came in very handy teaching Special Ed. I always had a couple of students who knew some signs.
I subscribed!
I have to agree with Jackie, when my hubby is watching sports. . .the kids could come crashing through the ceiling and he wouldn't even flinch. . .
I think we moms just need to learn to be deaf to the whims!
Gabe
That is too funny!
...at least they fall asleep eventually right??
Maybe that's the way to go.....just put em in bed, night night and that's it!
Awesome story! Maybe I should pull a deaf ear at bedtime too.
When I got to the part where you sat on the sofa and listened to the "circus" while your husband sat, blissfully unaware at his computer of the mayhem occurring I just started to laugh, and laugh some more. Just brilliant. I guess as far as he is concerned, if you can't hear it then no, it is not happening!
For my husband it is actually true. He puts the kids to bed and guess what? They stay there! It's amazing. I think he scares them a little. But hey, it works.
That is hilarious! My husband has a problem with smelling - apparently he can't smell when our baby has crapped in his diaper!
that was awesome! bless him! (I like the whole sneaking in bit...that's a riot)
You should get some earplugs and have "mommy's going to use the magic silence" nights on Wednesdays. Sounds fool proof. Yeah.
Sounds like a pretty sweet plan if you ask me. In fact, I think you should follow Paige's advice and just get some earplugs too. :)
Haha, great post! I guess we don't have that problem since the husband holds E until she falls asleep. He acts like a deaf man on many things but when it comes to bedtime, he can be really strict!
We have toothbrushes for our boys (7, 5 and 2) that have a little red light on the handle. They press it when they start brushing, and they can't quit brushing until it goes off. They're just Spider-Man toothbrushes that I got at Wal-Mart, and they weren't expensive like a lot of "special" toothbrushes are. Good luck!
THAT IS SO FUNNY my dad is severely hard of hearing and we have the EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN!!! He's like oh but they go right to sleep just because he doesn't HEAR them!
Post a Comment