So why, then, do they say some things that just don't make sense. There are too many to list, but I want to talk about the one that they say the most:
"First is the worst.
Second is the best
Third is the one with the hairy chest."
What can we learn from this little ditty?
We learn that striving for excellence is just plain wasteful. Who wants to be the worst? Yes, in our house we are perfectly fine with mediocre.
"Slow down, Johnny. You don't want to win. That would be horrible. Let that other kid pass you. Whoot. Way to go...or not go!"
Oh, yes. We love those RED ribbons. Silver is the new gold for us. It has its advantages. No-one wants your autograph, no-one remembers you. And everyone tells you "Good try."
Now, it is the last line that is a little disturbing. I don't know about you, but if that line really is true, I would rather come in LAST PLACE than get bronze. Hairy chest? I can imagine how attractive that would look.
"Sally! Go! (oh drat...she's not going to be second). Let that other girl...the slow kid pass you. Slow down! SLOW DOWN! Argh! Third place. This is gonna get ugly."
Ahhhh, childhood.
What little ditties do your kids sing,chant, recite, etc.?

5 comments:
I had never heard this rhyme before so had to look it up - but then I am English which always explains a lot :-) Apparently it starts with Zero is the Hero and goes on with fourth is King and fifth is Queen so none of it makes any sense at all to me - but then again, I am English......I think I already used that excuse :-) As yet we have no ditties in our house, can't wait to see what my daughter brings to us from school in the future, none of which I will understand!
My grandma always taught us that it went, "First the worst, second the same, last the best of all the game."
But we never believed her. We still punched the Monopoly winner because everybody knows first is the best.
That's why these stupid rhymes started in the first place. Someone in last wrote them!
When my kids fart. ..ahem pass gas. . .they grab a door handle and yell "safety". . .I have no idea where this came from. . .but when my adorable little three year old yells "safety". . .well it always gets a laugh!
Gabe
first thing that came to mind..
when you're sliding into first and you feel a little burst ....diarrhea (clap clap) diarrhea....
No songs or chants, but sometimes just finishing can be quite the accomplishment...
Post a Comment