Friday, March 19, 2010
What you Really need to know
The more kids I have the less I know...I swear it is true. I remember when I had Kobe, I was so ready for anything. I had read books, and magazines and I knew just about EVERYTHING I needed to know to raise a child. The more children I had, the less vital that knowledge seemed to be. So what if most children are walking at 11 months! Mine isn't! Are those books TRYING to make me feel bad?
So I have come up with a few pointers of my own for first-time moms. These are just things that I have learned on my road to raising 5 children.
Do NOT teach your children swear words with the intent of helping them know what NOT to say....because the minute they get a chance to, they will be screaming them at the top of their lungs in the backyard.
Do NOT give your children blueberries on a 12 hour road trip because at about hour 5 they will be throwing them at their sleeping brother. (Why would anyone give kids blueberries on a road trip?... crickets chirping....)
When you make Cream of Wheat, do NOT leave out the food coloring that you put in it to help your kids eat the stuff, because...well...even a really good dentist will not be able to make their teeth white again.
Do NOT let your child's comfort item that he takes with him to bed every night be a PBJ sandwich. He doesn't want to eat it, rather he will simply ask for one so that he can place it on his pillow and sleep with it. DON'T DO IT!!
Do NOT fold laundry! What's the point? Either the baby will immediatly reak havoc on the piles faster than you can stop him, OR the clothes will be taken to the owners room and put directly back into the dirty hamper. STEP AWAY FROM THE LAUNDRY!!
Do NOT laugh when your baby starts throwing his scrambled eggs at you because it ISN'T funny when He decides, "Heck with the eggs. I'm chunking the whole plate!"
Do NOT teach your children how to open a locked door from the outside. Because the minute you sit down in the bathroom, in they will come letting the dog in behind them. Then what is a mother to do???
These are all thing that I DIDN'T learn from a book. Shocking, I know. But the real things we need to know, the everyday stuff, we learn on our own. Each child is different, each parent is different. But the MOST important advice is this:
Do NOT let one day go by without telling your children that you love them! Give them 5 hugs a day! THAT is the most important thing!!
THAT is what you REALLY need to know!!
Labels:
Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That was an awesome post! I loved it!
that was really funny! particularly loved the advice about not letting them take a PBJ to bed as their 'lovie'. Will definitely take that to heart...
thanks for the visit to my blog!
Post a Comment