I grew up with girls. Six of them. Oh right, there was that one kid on the end...I think we called him brother. It's a little blurry, you know, with all that estrogen and all.
Anyway, our home was mostly filled with girl toys: dolls, dress ups, kitchens, tea sets, stuffed animals, more dolls. It was a great way to grow up. Unless you were that boy named brother.
Boy toys were pretty foreign to me. The only Legos I knew ended with "...my Eggo."
Not so much anymore.
Remember, I have four boys. Oh, right, and that sassy little thing they sometimes call sister. But with that many boys...Legos are a way of life, something to step on in the middle of the night. Unless you pick them up, which we do...and yet they are still there. Always there. Always.
My friend is so good with her Legos. She even takes inventory of them. Annually. Yeah, I vaccuum up Legos. Daily. She might just lose her mind over here. (At least I'd have company.)
My sister buys them by the pound. Lots and lots of pounds. She has wised up, though, and pulls out a bed sheet before they are dumped....makes for easier clean up. And probably less mess. In theory...which is another way of saying, "Yeah, right. They are Legos."

And so today, I dedicate this here post to those hours of entertainment, vacuum-clogging, stepped-on boy toy that everyone hates to love: Legos!
Do you have 'em?


15 comments:
Bought some, you know to be a good parent and offer gender neutral options. Never saw the light of day unless a boy cousin visited. House of girls and all.
Dana
Have them, also buy them buy the pound (Who knew Santa could fill an entire stocking full of them), have designated totes all around the house for them.
But we do the sheet thing too, because my feet can only handle so much, and the cat tends to eat them.
My nephew swallowed a Lego head before. Gave new meaning to biting someone's head off. And also "having a head up his butt" but I'm not gonna go there. :)
oh legos...I waited for my son to be old enough to enjoy them. now...I rue the day ;)
my policy: you get one warning when I'm sweeping or vacuuming. after that, they're gone.
i'm fairly certain he's never missed any of them :)
i hate legos...my boys ADORE THEM....i vacuum them on purpose b/c the rule is PICK THEM UP.
sister #1 over here doesn't get the lego thing either...i can't blame her...it must be a boy thing haha
My boy is still too little to really fit the pieces together, although he tries. His older sisters still had a forgotten about tub that I pulled out to see what he'd do. He likes the sound they make when they are shaken in the canister and when they fall and scatter ALL ACROSS THE DAMN FLOOR! But. I read this in a magazine today:
"Boy-centric blocks score some girl power with the new Lego Friends line. Designed to appeal to the way girls play, the sets have realistic-looking figures, scenes, and accessories."
The picture is of a Lego girl on a Lego stage with a Lego piano and microphone. At least they're trying, huh?
Oh boy do we have them...having four boys as well...for christmas we bought an old table at a yard sale, cut a hole in the middle for a lego bin to fit, painted it and glued the lego bases all over the rest of the table. I still find legos all over the house, but not nearly as many now. I don't mind them because they do entertain my boys for HOURS!
I love the sheet idea, wish I'd known about it years ago!
Legos were the favorite toy of my two youngest boys, and they took amazing care of them. They had a little Lego box, and they returned them every night with great care. Why? Because they loved them so much they were afraid I would vacuum one up!
=)
we don't lego 'round here. I buy them for my boys (not by the pound, mind you) and they have fun for a day then never play with them again.
I would love to have them occupied for hours. I would hate to vacuum them up.
Oh yes - We have had lots and lots of Lego's around here! My youngest is the only one who plays with them now and he is at a stage where he makes something and does not want it to come apart. So slowly all of his zillions of Lego's are becoming something that stays...together. I like that.
Oh yes - We have had lots and lots of Lego's around here! My youngest is the only one who plays with them now and he is at a stage where he makes something and does not want it to come apart. So slowly all of his zillions of Lego's are becoming something that stays...together. I like that.
We've had 'em. Don't know. I saw a super cute tutorial somewhere on taking a round tablecloth and making a lego playmat...but I couldn't find it on a google search to share with you!
Cute post!
It almost, but not quite, makes me miss those pointy little things!
Just got some and want to get more. Where in the world can you buy them by the pound?
We never had Legos in our home until we went back to California in December and my mom insisted that we all go to Legoland. We left that place with 3 whole Lego sets. They are the bigger ones but they still hurt as heck when you step on them in the dark. And just so you know, they make girly Legos now. The one we brought back with us can be used to make Lego cakes and so on. I so rue the day I let my mom convince me to buy legos for E.
Post a Comment