Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The second most scariest day of my life

It was Oct 30, 1987. I had just turned thirteen. I was having a birthday party/sleepover with ten of my good friends.

We started out the evening hanging outside in the front yard, standing around talking, because that is what 13 year olds do. A guy friend who lived up the street was also having a guy sleepover at his house (yeah, that wasn't planned at all) and so they were hanging out with us as well.

They eventually left. By this time it was getting dark. We continued our exciting game of standing around doing nothing. Soon after, we heard a group of guys walking down the street. We assumed it was our friends and started to taunt them, secretly hoping they would come over.

Well, come over they did. Only it wasn't our friends. Nope, it was our drunk teenage neighbor and his equally intoxicated friends. They rushed the yard, screaming and yelling, scaring the shabowwows out of us. One of the guys actually had a large knife and held it to my friends throat.

Eventually, they ran off and we were able to make it indoors without dying. I am not quite sure why my mother wasn't alarmed with amount of screaming from the front yard...but then again, we were a bunch of 13 year old girls. What's a little screaming? Once inside, we told the whole story to my mom She figured the boys had had their fun and as long as we stayed inside we would be fine.

Right?

Well, my mom had to pick up my sister from a Halloween party she was attending. My dad was still chaperoning the high school Halloween carnival, along with my older siblings. She simply told us to lock the doors and play some games and everything would be alright.

Right?

Well, we decided it was time to cut the cake which was actually a huge chocolate chip cookie. As we were standing around the table, my friend looks right behind us out the sliding glass door, and sees someone in a skeleton costume with a butcher knife in his hand, scratching it on the glass.

She starts screaming. We all look around. We all start screaming. Running and screaming.

It wasn't just the skeleton. There were about five drunk terrorists running around the house, pounding on windows, kicking at the doors, messing with the door handles, each of these actions caused much screaming, wailing, and an amazing amount of tears. (Remember, ten teenage girls.) A few of us were brave and decided to close all the window blinds and curtains. Some of us were too scared to do anything but hide behind the couch.

And still, one of us kept screaming, "We are going to die!! I want to go home! We are going to die!" No, it wasn't me. I think that someone slapped her, but I couldn't tell, being behind the couch and all.

One brave friend ventured back into the kitchen and got the phone. She called 911 and got the cops on the way. But not before the guys outside had kicked in our screen door.

"The police are on their way!" my friend yelled. Immediately we hear footsteps running away from the house. Girls start to emerge from behind couches and chairs. Immediately a line forms with girls calling their parents to come get them. 

Once the police get there, we each have to tell him what had happened. Things were really tense. We were all nervous. Some were sniffling. I mean, it was probably the most traumatic thing any of us had experienced up to that point in out lives.

My friend lost control. In the middle of all this tension, she cut one. Totally tooted. And it wasn't small. And then we all lost it..

There is just something about gas that can really lighten a mood.

9 comments:

Diane said...

Whoa! That's craziness! Did they ever catch them?!

Glad the toot was able to lighten your moods at least! They do have a way of doing that.

Lyssa said...

Yikes! As I read this entry, I'm totally imagining what neighbor played what role. I have a feeling I know who the drunks were as well as who was having a boys sleepover. Didn't we grow up in a wild place? If a drunk had held a knife to my kids throat I would have a heart attack. But I imagine my mom would have done the same thing that your mom did and brush it off. Have times changed or am I just way too uptight?

Kerri said...

Oh my gosh...I would have been scared out of my mind! Dumb drunk boys. One time I was having a slumber party and my dad tried to scare all of us by climbing up to the second floor window with a scary mask on. Most of my friends decided to go home. Boy was I mad at him for that. I think it was the only slumber party I ever had! :(

Kiddothings said...

Thank God for the toots! ;)

Gosh, that was scary! It read like a horror Halloween movie. Thank goodness we don't do Halloween over here. Glad everyone was safe.

Your word verify just asked me to type 'scusies' - guess that's for the toots?

Melanie said...

Holy Cow....I'm glad someone finally cut the cheese, I mean, tension.

I would have wet my pants....or something like it.

Arnebya said...

OK the ending made me burst out laughing. What happened to the drunk neighbors, anything? Filed under harmless idiocy? Boys! Ugh. The most frightened I've ever been was being held at gunpoint and robbed when I was 17. I have literally never been that afraid again.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

poor girl...that is a story never to be forgotten...and never one she can live down!

freak boys....

Susan Anderson said...

Sheesh. What a story!!!

I guess you made some memories that night...or gleaned some fodder for nightmares...

"/

Unknown said...

Dude, just reading this made my heart race! I'm glad that nothing bad happened to you guys though! I hope those little punks got their comeuppance because I would have totally whooped their butts for doing that to you girls if I was your mom.