This sounded great when it was just the two of us. Still okay when there were three. But we decided to have five children. I don't think we were thinking ahead with this tradition. That is over 125 ornaments if all our children stay with us until they are 18.
We are going to need a stronger tree.
Anywhoo, we have had some pretty good luck picking out ornaments. Hubs always, ALWAYS gets a football one. Yeah, shocking. Almost as shocking as when we go out to eat and he orders a hambugar. Just like that.
Kobe gets something sporty. Kyla usually will get a snowman or an animal. Brody is unpredictable, one year cars, another year a policeman, the next year Santa...you just never know with him. Camden will choose something...then change his mind...then change it back. By the time we leave the area he has decided on 15 different ornaments. Briggy...well, we make him choose from the cart. It's just better that way. Trust me.
So like I was saying we have had good luck with ornaments...specifically not breaking them with all our children.
Until this year...
You see, we came a few days late this year, which meant that all the cute, child friendly ornaments were pretty much gone. All that was left was the if-you-even--look-at-me-wrong-I-am-going-to-shatter ornaments.
So I told the kids to be extra careful. What I didn't know was that it was Opposite Day. (grrrr)
We start looking for ornaments and I hear, "Crash! Shatter! Shatter! Shatter!" I look over and there is Camden, face white as Santa's beard. To make it worse, these women, who couldn't have ever had children gasp, loudly and say, "Oh my. Look what you did." Like he needed their help feeling bad. Thanks! That was all it took for the tears that he had been fighting to spill out.
I pick up the half broken child and distract him. I then pick up the completely broken ornaments and debate what to do.
C'mon. You know you've been there. Do I simply put them back on the shelf and pretend that nothing happened? I mean, it is their fault that they have 50 breakable, stringed ornaments hanging on one hook within a child's reach. What do they expect? Or do I follow my conscience and pick up the tag and bring it to the front and pay for it.
I did the later....dang conscience.
Then Brody, who had chosen a
Kobe was ticked because there were no good ornaments to choose from so he was refusing to choose one this year. "Good," I thought, "One less ornament to break." But then Hubs found a Steelers ornament that was 3x's the price of the other ones and he changed his mind. Double yay!
Kyla was torn between two: a snowman that changed colors or a dog holding a "Hope" sign. Tough choice, huh. She was literally in tears. "If I choose this one, I will feel bad that I didn't choose the other one. I don't know what to do." It was very emotional.
Briggy's was love at first sight. No drama. No breaking. Cookie Monster. A boy after my own heart!
It took an hour and a half. We did break about 4 ornaments that we didn't have to pay for. Ahhhh, yes, another successful year of the ornament choosing.
Tradition!!!!
11 comments:
I started the same tradition even before we got married. But I'm gonna stick to just ME being the one to pick the ornament for the year. Hee. Or I might appoint a picker for each year.
I always go to Hallmark for their open house on this. Sans children or Grandlittles!
It would be a funny story to pack into the stockings for future years!
We do the same thing only we get the brass ornaments that you can personalize. That way nothing to break.. Those women were so rude I would have let it fly at them.. soon as he started crying I would have looked them in the eye and said' LOOK What you did hateful judgmental biddies. You made a baby cry, when he already felt bad enough about an ACCIDENT' Yeah it would not have been pretty.
We just grab one on every vacation, and then I take pictures from the year and frame them.
We rotate them, otherwise I'd need 3 trees. :)
I've been collecting ornaments for years. I have spent a small fortune on Hallmark ones over the years and then I always get one or two every place we travel to. I LOVE my Christmas ornaments!
And I thought stores had insurance for that kind of thing. Unless maybe it was a small store?
I do this too. Thankfully we have a small family. I tend to get the ornament and put it in JDaniel's stocking.
And that's why I choose the ornaments!
We have the same tradition - not the breaking the ornaments one but the buying them each year. I love it. It adds character to the tree!
This is the perfect family-with-kids Christmas anecdote. Takes me back, for sure.
=)
we decided that same tradition 3 years ago but have never done so (and I don't know if we will this year - we have NEVER decorated ANYTHING for Christmas since we got married) but thanks for the warning! I'll look forward to those breakable stuff with the kids.. hehe.. oh, i wanna whack those ladies!
What an ordeal! And, all in the name of tradition! :D
Post a Comment