Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So I Married a Deaf Man: Yes Man!

You know the saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side." Yeah, well, the grass really is greener on the other side. The Deaf side.

We are talking thick, soft, plush, green grass just begging to be rolled in. Because that's what I do in grass that looks like that. Roll in it. Don't you? No? Ahem...moving on.

People are so much nicer when you are Deaf. Their smiles are bigger. Their patience is multiplied. Their willingness to help is almost unbelievable! The Deaf customer really is always right.

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to deal with a situation and gotten nowhere. And I am a nice person. A genuine win/win type. But many times to no avail. Then Hubs enters the picture. I stand back and watch them turn to butter in his hands.

It can be over the phone customer care, stand-in-line customer service, checkout lady or potential babysitter. It doesn't matter who they are, Hubs almost always gets what he wants. Remember the story about the policeman and the ticket. Yes! See!! That's what I am talking about.

They give warnings, waive fees, grant "one time" exchanges, allow full money refunds.
"Watch your kids? Sure!!" Don't get me wrong, all my babysitting friends out there. It just seems people are more obliging when it comes to my Deaf man.

To his credit, he is quite handsome. And I also turn to butter from time to time. But it's not that. Maybe they feel "sorry for him." Why? He just can't hear you! He can read. He can drive. He's getting his masters!!

Why are you being so nice to him?!?!! Stop that!! Be rude! Mean! Unyielding! Sock it to him!!!

What am I saying? I should be grateful that I have a hidden weapon. Backup. A shortcut. Plan B. Most people aren't so lucky.

Greener, I tell ya.

8 comments:

Kerri said...

I think it's wonderful! I would let hubs do all the hard stuff! :)

Diane said...

I agree with Kerri! ;)

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like you've got a golden ticket there!

Go with it!!

=D

Unknown said...

Hey, whatever works, right?

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

you crack me up...

seriously when's ur book coming out!? you think i'm serious? get ta'crackin on it! and hubs needs to get his 2cents in too....a his and her side would be awesome...oohhh wait im ahead of myself...that's book 2

Carrie said...

I always love it when my husband uses his animal magnetism with the fast food girl. We always get more french fries;)

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Greener grass huh? I think I might try putting some ear plugs in the Mister and send him out to try out this magical power of which you write. What have I got to lose? A few ear plugs?
Dana

Unknown said...

Hee. You should totally milk it :) See if he can get a discounted iPad for you. Or maybe he can score some free cupcakes at the bakery.

I'd totally do it :)

Grass may be greener on his side but you should be allowed to play in it too!