When I talk to Hubs on the phone it is like talking to a whole other person.
Wait. Oh, yeah. That's because I do.
Sometimes his voice is low and deep. Sometimes it is high and annoying. Other times it is sexy and also rather scary. It all depends on what interpreter we get that day.
After being married for 12 years I am oh so used to it. But it wasn't always that easy.
Right before we were engaged, I went out of town for about a week to AZ. I missed him so much and so I called him. Through a relay operator. A female operator.
It was so unnatural for me to hear a female telling me how much she missed me and couldn't wait to hold me again. Yes, it was Hubs' words, not hers. I knew this. But I still got the creeps when she told me she loved me and couldn't wait to kiss me when I got home.
Since then, I've gotten used to women calling me "Babe", "Toots," and "Hot stuff." Relay is no big deal... for me.
My kids, however, that is a whole different story.
One time, my kids were at my sister's house and Hubs called, wanting to talk to my oldest.
"Kobe, the phone is for you. It's your dad," my sister called.
He looked at her like she was some kind of idiot. "My dad? I don't think so. He's deaf."
Or the time when Hubs called home and my 6 year old answered.
"Mom, there is some lady on the phone saying she is Daddy. She's so weird...giggle,giggle...."
Yeah, we're working on it.
12 comments:
What a funny experience and how odd it would seem at first!
(Just one more thing I would never have thought of it weren't for your So I Married a Deaf Man posts.)
These would make a good book!
Seriously.
=)
Too funny Stef!
I'm not a big fan of the relay but think it's a wonderful thing. I hear there's a tv one now? Kind of like skype? This made me wonder if your husband has a phone that you guys use to text back and forth? I agree with Sue...you so need to do a book...you would make LOTS of money! :)
How funny. I can totally imagine how funky that would be at first to get used to a woman's voice telling you sweet nothings.
seriously, how late are you up blogging?
So I guess phone sex is out of the question then, huh? Not that I've ever done it, but it might be a bit, um, awkward with a third person.... :)
Fascinating! I could see how it would be a little bit unsettling for the kids. I'm sure things like textn, Skype and FaceTime make it so much easier to communicate when you are away from each other.
This really made me laugh right out loud and then my husband heard me laughing so he came in and read your post too.
The part about right before you got engaged - OH MY GOSH that was funny!!
I have never ever thought about this topic and I agree with Sue it would make a good book!
Again, something else I never thought of. I love getting educated!!! Thanks again!
Oh, this totally cracked me up :) You really are too funny with your stories. I just love how you turn things that people would consider obstacles and frustrations into such interesting and humorous anecdote. Of course, they're also very eye-opening for the many of us who aren't married to a deaf man.
I know I would be cracking up all the time if a woman spoke to me the way that she spoke to you...even if it's supposedly coming from your husband :)
What an interesting life you all lead. I had no idea this would be an option. It's true, you can get used to pretty much anything.
Dana
Oh, gosh - I've never thought about that! Funny.
You are amazing! I love your writing... and I couldn't stop reading! Keep up the great work! Vicki
Post a Comment