My kids love gum. It doesn't matter what flavor: "Hot blue" Winter Fresh, "Spicy" red cinnamon, or "Green kind". Pink is the favorite by far. But if you can chew it, they want it. And believe me, they can find it too. They can smell it a mile away, whether it is in my mouth or hidden in the depths of my bag. If there is gum, they will find it. Oh, yes, they will.
I don't get why they love it so much. For some reason, until they learn to blow a bubble, the gum doesn't stay in their mouth longer than 5 minutes. That isn't even long enough for the gum to take form. It still has it's flavor, people!
Then there is the issue of disposing of said gum. I prefer the garbage myself. But my children have tried a variety of ways to discard. Leaving it on their dinner plate, their food trash, the bottom of their own shoe, their back pocket. I would be interested to know how much gum goes through my four year old's digestive system every week.... actually,no, I wouldn't.
So, today I took my two oldest sons grocery shopping with me. On our way to the store, my 5 year old asked for a piece of gum (because he could smell it clear in the back seat...rats!) So I gave him one and on we went.
We had a great time at the store. You know, the usual: taking as many of the produce bags as you can get and making balloons out of them. Then hitting your older brother with it...and a full on UFC fight breaks out. It is always fun to bring my boys shopping.
About 40 minutes later, we left the store
"What did you do with your other piece? Did you swallow it?" I asked.
"Ummm...no. I didn't swallow it." he replied.
"Well, did you put it on the ground? In a trash can?" I asked hopefully.
"Nope. I didn't. I promise, I didn't."
Exasperated I asked him, "Well, where did you put it?"
"Uhhh...I put it in my pocket. Then I did a somersault and then a cartwheel and it fell out."
(Laughing to myself and a little out loud) "You did a somersault and a cartwheel in the store? I missed that" I think I would have remembered that.
"Yup. I did. And that is when my gum fell out of my pocket."
Gum: It simply brings out the best in us.
For my son, it brings out the acrobat.
9 comments:
My favorite...."Here Mom." as they hand you the chewed piece. Ummm...
I can't agree with you more about the gum thing. My students just don't seem to understand why we don't want them chewing it in school though...
We've not started with gum yet - after three years of never eating anything sweet my daughter has decided she likes chocolate, so for now that is her main interest and I so wish I had not decided to use it as a reward for potty training!
I love your kids! So cute. And funny. Awwww.
I think it's about getting permission for something - anything - more than it's about the gum.
I hope I'm not the one to step on the gum in the grocery store, which would in turn, cause me to say a not-so-nice-word, probably out loud, in front of my kids!!
You are FUNNY! Keep writing.
I think they will probably soon add the gum to the plastic bags in some way and increase the drama and excitement, UFC-style. I'm thinking put the gum on the outside of the bags so it can be like brass knuckles, except instead of brass, it's gum, and instead of leather gloves it's plastic bags... Genius. Please post about it when this happens.
Ah, gum... I remember being that age and being entirely fascinated by gum.... which is why I don't plan on introducing E to gum. It's just easier that way. Besides, gum in Japan just isn't the same as gum back in the States.
Well at least the gum wasn't found "accidentally" in hair!
my son is 3 and I am so afraid to start him on gum. lol I know once he gets it, its all over from there. And he is clumsy, so I see gum getting in his hair, the car seat, the carpet, and other various gross places.
Post a Comment