Our children age us. Not because of how many we have or how old they are...though I am sure these things have brought a few gray hairs to my head. It is because their concept of numbers and age is all scewed.
Let me give you an example.
The other day I bought a slip and slide for my kids. They were busting at the seams with excitement. I told them they had to wait until they had eaten lunch and then we would get it all set up.
Brody, my 5 year old, says, "We have been waiting a hundred years already!"
Me: "A hundred years? Wow. That is older than I am."
Brody: "Well, Daddy is older than you and so he knows."
Me: "How old do you think I am?"
Brody: "40." (Hey now, son, I am only 36.)
Me: "How old is Daddy?"
Brody: "11." (Why couldn't he have said 11 to me? Sigh)
Me: "11? That is younger than 40. You think Daddy is younger than me?"
Brody: (thinking) "Ummm...no. I know how old he is."
Me: "How old?"
Brody: "Forty eleven."
See what I mean. According to my son, I married someone who was 3,971 years older than me. I wasn't even a speck on a clover when he was born. Talk about robbbing the cradle.
Funny thing is, he doesn't look a day over 39.
9 comments:
In my classroom I usually respond to, "How old are you?" with 178, 53, 41, 800, or whatever number readily comes to mind.
It is a frustration point for my class. I think it's hysterical.
Hope you can be happy with such an older guy...
funny! My boys ask me all the time how old I am. I love when they guess way younger than my actual age of 39 but I get really testy when they think I'm already 40 cause I've savoring this last 30 something year. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!
i love kids point of views...
i can still remember thinking 30 was old....now oddly (i'm 36 yrs young too) 80 seems old! haha
So funny!!! Definitely robbing the cradle! Kids ask the funniest stuff!
Love it! I have to try so hard not to laugh when my daughter pronounces that I am three, or that I measure 21 inches in height or says when I say she has 10 minutes before bedtime "no, three!" thinking she has got one over on me as I pretend to reluctantly agree to three minutes instead :-)
Oh that is cute!! I am 36 too and my 10 year old says that I am now "old"
I ask her what she thinks of grandma and grandpa and she says they are a young and cool kind of old.
So not fair!
Hey, you won my giveaway! Check my blog and send me your address! Congrats.
That's funny! When my nieces ask me how old I am I always say "younger than your mommy". Gets a laugh out of them everytime.
hahah! My first graders ask me how old I am, and when I say 30-something they are astonished at that answer. I'm older than most of their parents at this point, and they think that's weird.
P.S. I love the style of your fonts with the color/larger words interspersed. I used to do that in my posts often, and have since become kinda lazy about it. But your posts reminded me of how fun it is to read that style!
Post a Comment