I am reading the book, "Eat, Pray, Love". It is a pretty good book, minus the swearing...there is a lot more in there than I care to read. But it is about this gal who travels the world...well, at least 3 places, in order to be fulfilled and to find herself.
(I don't quite understand that. I don't understanding leaving home to find oneself. But that isn't what I want to talk about here.)
This woman had always wanted to go to Italy. So much so that she decided to move there simply to learn the language... to experience it all. When people ask me, "If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?" My first answer is, "To bed." Not really. But I have to think about it. Anywhere? I really don't know how to answer that question.
Growing up we didn't have a lot of money. So when we would travel anywhere it was usually to visit family. The only vacationing that we ever did was camping. We didn't travel to Disneyland, or to some great location just because it was a great location. We would travel to visit family and if there was something along the way we would stop and see it: the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Lagoon. So travel has a different meaning to me, I guess.
I have a friend who has had the opportunity to take his family and live in England for several years. While there he and his wife have been to Paris, Rome, Venice, Sweden, Ireland, London, and so forth. What a fun experience for them. I just can't even imagine.
But for me, I am a home body. Traveling the world really isn't appealing to me. Not because I am not interested in other cultures, because I am. Not because I hate to fly, because I don't mind it. Is it because I am afraid of new things?.No, I don't think that is the reason. Though, maybe it is a little, but no more than most people.
Maybe I am a little intimidated by the unknown. I don't know the language and because Hubs is deaf I would be the speaker and hearer and be totally responsible for our welfare. But I have five children! I am used to being responsible.
Am I worried that I won't like the food? I don't think that is possible. I like most foods. As long as it isn't raw or slimy, I am good.
I am not completely opposed to going, and if the opportunity presented itself and there was reason to go, then I would go. And I am sure that I would enjoy it and it would be a chance of a lifetime.
But for now, I would settle for seeing all the amazing things that this country of mine has to offer. NYC, Yosemite, Nashville, the Great Lakes, the Rocky Mountains, etc. So much I haven't seen here. Let's start there...then maybe...just maybe I could venture into another country to appreciate what there is to appreciate there!
What about you? Do you like to travel? Do you think I am crazy? Where would you go?
13 comments:
I completely understand and I'm right there with ya! So much I want to see and do here in the good ole US of A!
Blessings,
~H
I LOVE to travel to new places. I would love to visit Figi, Hawaii, New Zealand, Micronesia, Guatamala, Argentina, Japan....ya so many places! I think one's ambition to travel though may change over time. Like my desire to travel is not what it was before I had a family or before I found the church and gospel because my priorities and perspectives are changed ya know?
I love this post because I totally understand it now - but once I did not. Before moving here I could not believe that only 15% of Americans have a passport. But now I get it, because this country is so very vast and varied in landscape, culture and more. There really is so much to see. It is incredible to a European like me to see some place so vast and varied that is just one country (yes, Russia is a huge land mass but a lot of it is uninhabitable). Your friends going to Paris, Rome, England and Dublin is akin to seeing various cities and sights here in the US. When we lived in Belgium we would drive to Paris for the weekend (2 1/2 hours) or to Amsterdam (2 hours) or to Germany and the Rhine (4 hours).......and so on.
I still am a travel nut and when my daughter gets older want to show her so much of the US. But I also want to see parts of the world I have not yet seen too. Everyone is different.
Oh I dig travel. But then, I'm a flight attendant, so it's kind of a job requirement!!
I have always loved to travel. It stresses me out a little bit - the directions, the constant go go go to see it all, the change in language/diction/dialect.
But there is no better way to understand different people and cultures than to travel and immerse yourself in it.
Enjoy the book. I loved it. (Except Indonesia. A little slow for me.)
My entire family is like you: anywhere family lives is vacation, and if it's outside of UT or ID, then it's too far, even if family lives there (and I live in AZ, so you can imagine how many times I've been visited). I've seen places in the world, but only because Brad's sister is married to a Frenchman and they lived in France for eight years.
But I love to travel. I think either you want to or you don't and there's little middle ground. Be glad. It's easier to stay home!
And the quote behind Ben's head in my kitchen says, "Christ is the center of our home, a guest at every meal, a silent listener to every conversation."
Have a great weekend!
Ummm. I don't know. If I won the lottery, I think that I would become a full time student again (I love school. I know. I am weird.) and also travel the world . . . including all the places I have never seen in this great country. :)
I am a major HOME BODY and hubby LOVES to travel... *sigh* I do up and go with him... but I'd usually RATHER be home and can't WAIT to get BACK. From the time he starts talking another trip, my blood pressure starts rising. Don't ge4t me wrong, I've enjoyed a lot of the places we've gone and things we've done... But home is my comfort zone... my sanctuary. ((HUGS))
I'm not a big back-packer or walking tour kind of person. I just can't keep up. A few years ago though, my husband and I discovered cruising and that opened up so many possibilities. I like the idea of seeing a couple of different places in one trip, and getting to sleep and rest in-between. We've only done a few cruises along the Pacific, but I am planning (and saving for) a big Mediterranean cruise for a year or two from now. - G
i think i love to travel b/c it's something i never got to do. like you a vacation was visiting families in other states and seeing what was along the way!
i've been to england twice and ireland twice and scotland once..i know i need to go back...but there is nothing like the feeling of your head hitting your own pillow in your own bed!
Hi there! Just found your blog and I'm your newest follower!
I didn't relate to "Eat, Pray, Love" very well... but of course I will go to see the movie!
I am also a homebody, although there are a few places I want to see before I die (some European countries, NYC...)
There's really no place like home, and I can find myself around her just fine! (Most of the time!)
Have a great week!
Kate @ This Mom Loves
For me, I grew up with my family all within walking or driving distance so whenever my parents wanted to go on a family trip, we'd go to Disneyland. I think after the 3rd time, I was sick of going there...and I was a kid at the time! I consider myself a homebody but my brain is one that wants to explore the world and see all that the world has to offer. Fortunately, Jason has this dream of living and working abroad so even though we are technically homebodies, we are homebodies in a different country.... Yea, it's confusing....
I'm the wrong person to ask those last questions because I'd travel for the rest of my life if I could. To every where. Like really -- every single place. I love it. But I totally understand where you're coming from, too. I have lots of friends and family who just don't see the draw and I think that's just fine. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the bug. ;)
I have been fortunate here in England to travel to lots of places and will probably get more opportunities still, since there's so much so close. But I love the US, too, and I still have a few places stateside that are on my list.
PS: That book is practically the story of my life, with different names. And India and Indonesia are the UK and Mexico. Italy is the same, though. :) Oh...and I don't have an awesome book deal.
I completely agree with you...I am a bit of a homebody, I don't like it when I can't speak the language, but I am afraid of the food situation. I never was, and then went to Switzerland and lost 10lbs in a week.
But I want to see the great things the USA has to offer too...and I think that's easier when you have a young family. So that's my goal...we'll just see if it happens:)
Post a Comment