The things we sacrifice to be a mother.
Before I was a mom...
...I woke up early because I wanted to. Now I wake up before the break of dawn to cuddling, giggling kids.
...there were days when I didn't have any laundry...Now I can see how much fun my children had by the amount of MESS they have on their clothes. They are having fun...loads and loads of it. (I couldn't resist.)
...when I was late, I could simply sneak in the back without being noticed. Now, we can't sneak into anything.
...I wore a size 5. Now I have 5 kids and the body to prove it.
...I could park in the compact spots. Now there is nothing compact about us.
...I made could shower everyday.. Now I am lucky if I get a shower every other day.
...I could take as long as I wanted in the shower. Now I can shower in 5 minutes without too much problem.
....I appreciated art. Now there is no piece of art that could replace the pictures of me with arms coming out my ears and legs out my chin standing next to Hubs and children with the caption: i luv mi famlee.
...I could go shopping with just Hubs and have some change left over. Now, I am happy when I only have to take 3 kids with me and I have arranged to have my paychecks directly deposited to Smiths grocery store.
....I thought I knew what love was. Now I know!
Mothers sacrifice a lot to have children.
I grew up hearing that the definition of sacrifice is giving up something good for something better.
There is nothing better than being a mom! Nothing! I would give up the non-mom life in a heartbeat again if I had the choice. It is the hardest and yet most rewarding job, responsibility, joy I have ever had.
SO to all you non-moms out there...try it. You will love it!!!
(Thanks again Mama Kat! You are awesome!)
16 comments:
Aww, that was sweet. I'll have to settle for being an Auntie, though. I've been a stepmom for 16 years too, which is a whole other ball of wax. - G
Oh, leisurely showering twice a day (once in the morning before work and again after step or spinning at the gym later) with a trip to the sauna or steam room thrown in too - ah, memories....
Awesome post. There is totally nothing like mommyhood--THE best!!!
Beautiful!!!
Before I was a mom, I drove where I needed to go... now I drive where they need to go. ; )
Blessings!
~H
Very sweet, and so true! I <3 being a mommy! Enjoyed your post :)
showers are overrated. I read it's best to not wash your hair everyday, so I took that to mean not washing your body either. Nothing like a little French bath of perfume to make you feel fresh!
(Except, when I actually do shower, you better believe it is long and leisurely!)
such great perspective. especially today, since i've been extra whiny myself. particularly about waking up too early, not being a size 5 and well... just about everything else you mentioned!
i do love being a mom. thanks for the cheer. :)
What a lovely post.
I love being a Mom and can't imagine my life without them.
Love this post! You are right, there is nothing that compares to being a mom.
Thanks for the comment on my entry! You asked why I was learning Signed Exact English. I'm set to graduate with my degree in Special Education next May and one of the classes that was required is called Motor, Communication, and Sensory Deficits of the Exceptional Child. It's partially about assistive technology and partially about learning to sign.
I've always wanted to learn to sign so I've been excited about taking this class! So far I'm loving it. :)
I waited a long time to be a mom, and I wouldn't change it for the world! One thing I did not and would not give up as a mom was my shower....let's hope I don't ever have to!
I absolutely loved this one:
...when I was late, I could simply sneak in the back without being noticed. Now, we can't sneak into anything.
A. Men. To that, sister.
Awesome list! :) I especially love the one about the art in your house :) I can't wait until E is old enough to draw because our house is going to be decorated with her art!
You are completely right. Being a mom is so incredible :) Before I became one, I was always skeptical about life as a mom but I don't miss being a non-mom at all! All my friends who were on the same boat as I was all say the same thing too! Being moms have really brought out the best in all of us :)
I laughed out loud at the compact car point! Good list!
I love this post. It has been so fun reading how everyone who talks about before they were a mom ends as you did - nothing better than being a mom.
Beautiful! It's been a long week here and I needed a little reminder about how it's all worth it!
You're a dedicated and proud mother like me. I could give up everything for my baby and give her all the baby gifts that a mother could wish for, just to bring happiness on her eyes.
Post a Comment